MythTV Reloaded – Day 21
I’m happy to say that after weeks of work (I can’t believe that it actually took that long. I’m so ashamed) I have a frontend that works very nicely. I should have posted this a few days ago but I’ve been happily enjoying my new setup. For the most part it’s been working great. I have really been enjoying the quick suspend/resume. This is the first time that I’ve been able to get it to function properly on this system. It’s much nicer than the 2 minutes or so it used to take. Anyway, I noticed that I have a couple of button mismappings on my remote – commercial skip forward and backward are swapped. Easy enough to fix.
I haven’t had a chance to test out DVD and BluRay playback. I can report back when I’ve had time to do that. I don’t think I have BluRay setup quite right yet but if I get DVDs to playback reliably I’ll be a step up from my old setup. It used to work on my old frontend (an installation that I had before my previous setup) but then when I upgraded to what I was previously working it was very hit or miss and I eventually gave up and hooked up a dedicated DVD player to the TV.
I think that my HD playback has gone up a notch in image quality as well from this upgrade. The new drivers (and possibly the underlying video rendering system) seem to be allowing me to run a much smoother playback. In the past, high speed panning scenes (football) would have a tear in the middle of the screen but I haven’t seen it since the update. Audio continues to work well – optical out to my receiver; that TV doesn’t have HDMI.
In the end I’m very satisfied with this upgrade. I have everything working as well as or better than my previous setup with the sole exception of Mythweb which I still need to setup. But that’ll be for another day. For now, I’m going to go back and play with my newly functional toys.