mikinho

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 294 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Guide: Sharing Ceton InfiniTV Tuners with Client HTPC Systems #28927
    mikinho
    Participant

      [quote=”Jeff Griffin”]
      Can the Ceton be installed in a Server 2008 r2 machine? This would be ideal to then be able to share it with a Windows 7 machine running under Hyper-v. Add WHS also runnign under Hyper-v to hold all the recordings and watch using extenders and I would have the perfect machine.
      [/quote]

      That is my current setup.

      I’ll be posting a quick overview of my setup and network equipment soon (requested early in this thread I believe)

      in reply to: Boxee Box Teardown #29016
      mikinho
      Participant

        I’m not a fan of the form factor myself, I’m a rack-mount guy.

        That said I still think it makes some sense…I’ve always seen Boxee’s primary target audience as social media college students, the non-Apple high school crowd and fresh out of college.

        Most consumers in that market won’t care about the form factor, it probably even goes well with the Urban Outfitter decor.

        As much as I hate it, my high school daughter is into social media and I’m thinking of buying it for her (and stealing the remote for the primary HTPC)

        in reply to: New line of HTPC chassis #28503
        mikinho
        Participant

          I still like the blue but I like white as well.

          I’m not a fan of green or orange.

          in reply to: Guide: Sharing Ceton InfiniTV Tuners with Client HTPC Systems #28925
          mikinho
          Participant

            I’m heading home in about an hour and I’ll see why the e-mails w/ the beta version didn’t go through.  Thanks for the offer to help test.

            in reply to: Guide: Sharing Ceton InfiniTV Tuners with Client HTPC Systems #28922
            mikinho
            Participant

              btw. InfiniTV4 install guide outlines what firewall ports are needed–no guessing required.

              [quote]
              NameUDP/TCPPort RangeIn/Out
              RTPUDP5001-5016IN
              SSDPUDP1900IN/OUT
              RTSPTCP554OUT
              UPnPTCP2869IN/OUT
              WMDRMUDP5757-5772OUT

              [/quote]

              Below is a cmd line I wrote to set them if my tools fails

              [code]netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TV Tuner Device (UPnP-In)" dir=In Profile=Private LocalIP=Any RemoteIP=Any Protocol=TCP LocalPort=2869 RemotePort=Any Edge=No action=Allow
              netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TV Tuner Device (SSDP-In)" dir=In Profile=Private LocalIP=Any RemoteIP=Any Protocol=UDP LocalPort=1900 RemotePort=Any Edge=No action=Allow
              netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TV Tuner Device (RTP-In)" dir=In Profile=Private LocalIP=Any RemoteIP=Any Protocol=UDP LocalPort=5001-5016 RemotePort=Any Edge=No action=Allow

              netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TV Tuner Device (WMDRM-Out)" Direction=Out Profile=Private LocalIP=Any RemoteIP=Any Protocol=UDP LocalPort=Any RemotePort=5757-5772 Edge=No Action=Allow
              netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TV Tuner Device (RTSP-Out)" Direction=Out Profile=Private LocalIP=Any RemoteIP=Any Protocol=TCP LocalPort=Any RemotePort=554 Edge=No Action=Allow
              netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TV Tuner Device (UPnP-Out)" Direction=Out Profile=Private LocalIP=Any RemoteIP=Any Protocol=TCP LocalPort=Any RemotePort=2869 Edge=No Action=Allow
              netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TV Tuner Device (SSDP-Out)" Direction=Out Profile=Private LocalIP=Any RemoteIP=Any Protocol=UDP LocalPort=Any RemotePort=1900 Edge=No Action=Allow[/code]

              Note: My cmd line above only enables Private profile; the Ceton setup package will enable Private, Domain and Public

              in reply to: Guide: Sharing Ceton InfiniTV Tuners with Client HTPC Systems #28921
              mikinho
              Participant

                Did you get it via e-mail yet to test?

                in reply to: 80% of TV viewing in U.S. is still in standard definition #29006
                mikinho
                Participant

                  I initially misread and didn’t see the “household”.  Makes more sense.

                  in reply to: 80% of TV viewing in U.S. is still in standard definition #29004
                  mikinho
                  Participant

                    Per household I can understand, not individually.

                    [quote=”Meester.Rip”]
                    With 2 CETON tuners, 5 petabyte servers, and a dozen clients you only record a few hours of TV a week?
                    [/quote]

                    I record a lot more than a few hours but mostly for my wife and kids. 

                    I honestly rarely use the HTPC.  I know I am a geek but I would rather spend a few hours writing code or tinkering with hardware than watching TV or a movie.

                    in reply to: 80% of TV viewing in U.S. is still in standard definition #29000
                    mikinho
                    Participant

                      That seems absurdly high.  I think I watch a lot of TV at the moment and I’m at maybe an hour on the weekdays and 2 hours on the weekends.

                      in reply to: Guide: Sharing Ceton InfiniTV Tuners with Client HTPC Systems #28919
                      mikinho
                      Participant

                        Yes you do need to be part of the beta program or wait for the public firmware.

                        If you are good w/ networking you can actually use the original firmware by setting up either all static IP addresses or creating a VLAN for the InfiniTV4 but I wouldn’t recommend it as it is not stable.

                        Edit: I realize what I said is somewhat contradictory.  The guide is only valid for beta program and for the pending public firmware.  The current firmware will not have the network configuration section but will have the network bridging dropdown.

                        in reply to: Guide: Sharing Ceton InfiniTV Tuners with Client HTPC Systems #28917
                        mikinho
                        Participant

                          Everyone that has sent me a PM w/ their e-mail should have received (sent about 2 minutes ago).  If you don’t get it soon please let me know (and check your spam folder).

                          Otherwise it will be on Missing Remote [s]within 2 hours[/s] sometime today (my meetings are going long.

                          mikinho
                          Participant

                            So for those interested the RemoteFX demonstrated will be AMD powered.  The server will be an AMD G34 (Magny-Cours) with a corresponding ATI FirePro V7800.  With SP1 RC the performance is incredible over RemoteFX.

                            I’ll keep adding to the forum thread with any new demonstrations that will be at #HoustonWinMeet but if there is anything you want to see or feel would be beneficial please let me know.

                            in reply to: New Windows Home Server Product Announced #28992
                            mikinho
                            Participant

                              Are you running RTM?  I’ll following up tonight.  I’m currently disconnected from my home network.  I’m part of the Comcast IPv6 beta and it hasn’t been going well the last few days.

                              in reply to: New Windows Home Server Product Announced #28990
                              mikinho
                              Participant

                                You are not limited to VHD.  Right now I only have two iSCSI targets, 1 is a RAID6 array for my media and the other is a dedicate WD Black as my data drive on my development system.

                                I’ve been wanting to evaluate iSCSI Remote Boot so I can remove all the hard drives out of my bedroom HTPCs but I don’t want to test it until I get a managed switch and I can’t afford that right now.

                                In terms of VHD usage for recording….I did do that for a while and had no performance issues.  I would only recommend it if with fixed VHDs and if your hardware supports VT-d (Intel) or AMD-Vi (AMD).

                                in reply to: New Windows Home Server Product Announced #28987
                                mikinho
                                Participant

                                  I’ve been using it for a while now and honestly I really like it for home use.  Having a relatively cheap SAN via iSCSI solution is nice.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 294 total)