80% of TV viewing in U.S. is still in standard definition

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground 80% of TV viewing in U.S. is still in standard definition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

I was wondering about these stats this morning because since I have dropped to basic cable the kids have to watch the cartoon network in SD. But how long will it be before the Cable company drops SD to free up bandwidth. The set top box should be able to crop the 1080i signal down to 480, it does for 720P sets doesn’t it?

I’m hoping in a year or so the basic package will be in HD.

Mike Garcen
    Participant

somewhat unrelated. i’m at a conference right now, and some guy from Yahoo’s ConnectedTV division reported that according to (Nielsen i think) TV viewing per household is 9.25 hours PER DAY!!!

Does this seem a bit high to anyone? He didn’t mention breakdowns of web vs traditional, but man that seems extraordinarily high doesn’t it?

mikinho
      Participant

That seems absurdly high.  I think I watch a lot of TV at the moment and I’m at maybe an hour on the weekdays and 2 hours on the weekends.

That sounds ridiculous.  Did they include online videos in those numbers?  Unless more than half the country is out of work, how can people possibly watch TV that much during the week?  The only other thing I can think of is that there’s a huge spike on Saturdays and Sundays.

I heard it was 5 hours a day.  5 hours is doable.  9.25 hours a day is not.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
        That seems absurdly high.  I think I watch a lot of TV at the moment and I’m at maybe an hour on the weekdays and 2 hours on the weekends.
        [/quote]

With 2 CETON tuners, 5 petabyte servers, and a dozen clients you only record a few hours of TV a week?

I’m guessing that is per household. With 4 people in my house watching Chase and No Ordinary family that racked up 8 hours right there. I’m sure the kids had about 30 – 45 minutes of cartoons during breakfast so I can see 9 + hours a day easily.

I would think for most of the people on this site who spend a lot of time and money on putting our media networks together also use them.

mikinho
        Participant

Per household I can understand, not individually.

[quote=”Meester.Rip”]
          With 2 CETON tuners, 5 petabyte servers, and a dozen clients you only record a few hours of TV a week?
          [/quote]

I record a lot more than a few hours but mostly for my wife and kids. 

I honestly rarely use the HTPC.  I know I am a geek but I would rather spend a few hours writing code or tinkering with hardware than watching TV or a movie.

Household implies everyone’s viewing and “watching” might even include things like when people are doing other things primarily but have the TV on so this stat could be reasonable. If it is a household of four with a couple of kids and a couple TVs, it is easy to see 9.25 hours a day.

mikinho
          Participant

I initially misread and didn’t see the “household”.  Makes more sense.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
            Per household I can understand, not individually.

[quote=”Meester.Rip”]
            [/quote]

I record a lot more than a few hours but mostly for my wife and kids. 

I honestly rarely use the HTPC.  I know I am a geek but I would rather spend a few hours writing code or tinkering with hardware than watching TV or a movie.
            [/quote]

I wish I had your motivation to write code. I was briefly interested in writing for Android prior to getting my phone and then every idea I had was already done.

Then last week I installed everything to write code with lightswitch but there are so many bugs in using it I am going to wait until a RC comes out.

Mike Garcen
            Participant

FYI, the Keynote was given by Ron Jacoby, Chief Architect at Yahoo!. He didn’t mention what source he used, but later in the preso he did quote Nielsen. I’m with you guys that it seems VERY unrealistic

captain_video
              Participant

If the average household is around 3-4 people, 9.25 hours a day isn’t really out of line.  If you figure most people watch prime time TV between the hours of 8 and 11 and everyone has their own TV, I could see how that amount could easily be met or exceeded.  My wife has Fox news on all day long so she probably hits that number all on her own.  I know lots of people that leave the TV on all the time even though they’re primarily using it for background noise with little actual viewing time.

I get up early and watch a 1-hour show before leaving for work while eating my breakfast.  I watch another 1-hour show when I come home for lunch (I’m only 5 minutes from my office).  When I get home I’m probably good for at least another 3-4 hours of programming with breaks in between to see what’s happening at the missingremote and other forums.  Keep in mind that I record everything and skip the commercials so you can knock 30-35% of the total hours off my actual viewing time.

Before I had kids, I would watch about 5.5 hours of TV every weekday…about 4:30 to 10:00 p.m.  On weekends, it was probably about 12 hours each day.  Now I’m nowhere near either of those.

When you consider families with 3 or 4 people in the house, all of TV-watching age, it all starts to make some sense.  It does still seem a little high, but not as outrageous as it did originally.

Mike Garcen
                Participant

i totally missed that point. you guys are right, it’s way believable when considering larger households. good to know the Chief Architect at Yahoo’s Connected TV division knows his stuff huh 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.