LG adds to the 4K content news at CES
CES 2015 seems to be the catalyst for getting content for the 4K screens which are getting better and less expensive. LG is getting into this in a big way with partnerships for content including GoPro, DirectTV VOD, Netflix, Youtube, and more. LG was one of the first LCD screens I bought, and it still delivers great picture for an older screen. I hope the webOS 2.0 that is going into LG’s new screens lives up to its promise of ease of use.
PR after the break.
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 5, 2015 ― LG Electronics USA today announced an expansive lineup of new content partners for the company’s new webOS 2.0 Smart TV platform at the 2015 International CES®. These new alliances – with leading content and technology providers GoPro, DIRECTV, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, HSN, SHOWTIME, Drama Fever and iHeartRadio – will offer online access to more streaming content and 4K viewing options than ever before to millions of LG Smart TV owners.*
One of the most noteworthy new content partnerships is the TV collaboration between LG Electronics USA and GoPro, which will bring some of today’s most engaging content to LG Smart TVs. With the exclusive new GoPro Channel app, available exclusively to LG webOS Smart TVs, owners can stream GoPro videos on-demand today, including stunning content shot on the HERO4 Black, the most advanced GoPro camera ever. Access to 4K content is anticipated in future updates to the Channel.** The alliance capitalizes on LG’s award-winning webOS Smart TV technology available on 2015 and 2014 4K OLED TVs, 4K ULTRA HD LED TVs and FULL HD LCD TVs to deliver the immersive imagery that is a hallmark of the GoPro video experience.
In order to provide an immersive experience paired with professional quality content, GoPro chose LG webOS Smart TVs as the launch partner for its cutting-edge platform. The new app allows LG Smart TV users to immerse themselves in the world of GoPro content with just the click of the Magic remote using LG’s simple and fast webOS connected platform. Viewers will experience hours of engaging and inspiring moments, from global expeditions and adrenaline-pumping stunts to everyday moments and jaw-dropping beauty on LG TVs offering improved contrast and picture detail, coupled with superior color and clarity.
“LG screens provide a beautiful display for the immersive 4K and HD content that GoPro is known for,” said GoPro Head of Programming and Distribution, Adam Dornbusch. “As entertainment continues to evolve into new formats and new platforms, the GoPro Channel app will bring our best user-generated content and original productions into the homes of millions of LG Smart TV owners and to a new audience of viewers.”
With a focus on three overarching features ― Simple Connection, Simple Switching and Simple Discovery ― webOS makes navigating today’s state-of-the-art TV systems easier than ever. LG’s newly upgraded webOS 2.0 smart TV platform for 2015 takes simplicity and convenience to a new level with an even more user-friendly interface, while also managing an expanding array of content options, so consumers can chose easily from a long list of new features.
“LG’s webOS Smart TVs make finding the content you want fast and simple, so that consumers can spend more time enjoying, and less time searching for, the content they crave,” said David VanderWaal, head of marketing for LG Electronics USA. “We’re offering access to more streaming content providers than ever before. I can tell you that consumers are going to be blown away by the range of inspiring content available, including thrilling videos on the GoPro Channel app available exclusively for LG Smart TVs – and experiencing them on our 4K OLED TVs is truly mind-blowing.”
The GoPro app will join a host of new applications and features providing an extensive selection of Ultra HD and Full HD content on LG 4K Ultra HD, LCD and OLED TVs featuring the webOS platform. Additional partnerships being announced today include:
- DIRECTV: LG’s expansive 2015 lineup of Smart TVs featuring webOS 2.0 will offer access to more content than ever before, including new releases as well as your favorite classic films through DIRECTV 4K VOD service – a future update that will be available later in 2015 from LG. New LG Smart TVs will allow subscribers with DIRECTV’s Genie HD DVR to access DIRECTV 4K and Full DIRECTV services. Subscribers can also access content on additional enabled devices throughout the home without a wired connection and without additional set-top boxes
- Netflix, Amazon and YouTube: LG has laid a strong foundation for its 4K ULTRA HD TVs, working with global content providers Netflix, Amazon and YouTube, enabling LG customers to enjoy a wide variety of 4K content including TV series, movies, music videos and more. Most notably, LG’s webOS 2.0 Smart TVs are expected to be among the first receiving certification under the new “Netflix Recommended TV” program, an independent smart TV evaluation program that helps consumers identify televisions built from the ground up for a superior Internet TV experience.
- HSN: In partnership with the popular entertainment and lifestyle retailer HSN, LG plans to launch a new and simpler way to shop while watching live broadcasting through HSN programming on LG Smart TV with webOS 1.0 and 2.0. Consumers will have an opportunity to make instant selections using an HSN app readily available on the LG Launcher Bar while viewing HSN programming.
- SHOWTIME SHO Sync: Expanding on the popularity of culture craver television shows, LG’s “Live Plus” technology will be available on LG Smart TVs with webOS 2.0. In conjunction with SHOWTIME SHO Sync, Live Plus delivers on-screen trivia, polls and social features for original SHOWTIME series.
- DramaFever: DramaFever, an international service providing the latest in TV and movies will be made available to LG Smart TVs. DramaFever offers LG customers an opportunity to stream entertainment from a robust international library of shows and movies.
- iHeartRadio: The free, all-in-one digital audio service, iHeartRadio, will deliver virtually limitless music options to LG Smart TVs with webOS 1.0 and 2.0 beginning in January 2015. Via a simple one-click menu, listeners can stream thousands of live radio stations from the comfort of their own living rooms.