The Green Button :(

Home Forums Windows Media Center The Green Button :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

I don’t know what happened over at the Green Button.  I kew they were making changes but it looks like it was simply merged into an existing forum that is much more complicated to navigate through. 

I was unable to migrate my account as it didn’t recognise my Green Button Password and the Reset Password doesn’t seem to work.

It looks like they have burried all the media center stuff. 

swoon

It is definitely different. I didn’t have a problem adding my TGB acct. to a Windows Live ID.

It is definitely going to take some getting used to. There are a ton of forums that are now part of the Windows Experts Community. The old TGB essentially seems to be under the Windows Entertainment and Connected Home banner.

epete

Maybe that is part of my problem.  I have two passport accounts.  And at some point MS introduced Windows Live ID’s which may or may not be the same thing.  I have never been able to figure it out.  So when I went to the http://www.thegreenbutton.com it may have logged me in to one of my passport accounts.  Maybe that is keeping me from being able to use my old TGB account.  I wish it wasn’t so complicated.

swoon

I guess you could always try signing up for a new Windows Live account and then migrate your TGB account to that. I’ve actually got two Windows Live accounts myself (and wish I could merge them).

cwag17

The new site is terrible. Seems that they are pushing the windows live services everywhere you click. Hard to navigate and I still haven’t found out how to migrate my old account. Plus the entire site looks crappy. Hopefully TheRedButton stays and takes off!

epete

Yes, I created a third ID and cannot merge my TGB account.  Now I have three Windows Live IDs and a non working TGB ID.  I would love to merge all of My windows Live IDs as well.

The great thing about the green button was the community and all the experts.  I hope this new format and de-emphasis on Media Center doesnt destroy the community.

dharper40

So far, so bad. Really enjoyed TGB when it was around. Ive already spent too much time monkeying with it.

swoon

Unfortunately, it sounds like a number of folks are having issues getting their TGB accounts migrated. Hopefully, they’ll get it all sorted in the next few days.

osburnfamily

Not sure if this helps or not; but, I didn’t do anything, and it appears my TGB ID and my LiveID are already synced.

I suspect it may be do to one (or more) of a few factors.  One, I already had a WLID, the ID was already linked to my userlogon on my Windows 7 PC, and I was already signed into Windows Live in a session before I opened TGB URL after the go-live.

Then, the first time I came to the site and clicked on the Logon in the top-right corner, I was given the choice of logging in with a Windows Live acct, or a TGB account.

I logged in with TGB account and verified all my original TGB profile stuff was there.  After that, I verified the email address listed on the profile was my WLID email address (my hotmail acct).

Then, I logged off and then logged back in again, this time using my Windows Live account.

Everything has been flawless ever since.

Granted– the site kinda blows.  It’s hard to follow right now and the original TGB URL doesn’t go where it was advertised it would.  But– time should shake it all out (fingers crossed).

swoon

The basic steps are to Sign In to the Windows Experts Community using the Sign In link at the top of the page. You will then be presented with the following AFTER you have signed in or created a new Windows Live ID where you can enter your TGB username and password:

realcodeguy

What an absolute disaster at thegreenbutton.com.  I was looking forward to the changes but it fails everytime I try to migrate my account and attempting to reset my windows live id password fails too.  I’ve been a member of TGB for over 6 years and now this.  What a mess, who ever thought this was a good idea?  Oh yeah, Microsoft… that’s who.

realcodeguy

[quote=swoon]

The basic steps are to Sign In to the Windows Experts Community using the Sign In link at the top of the page. You will then be presented with the following AFTER you have signed in or created a new Windows Live ID where you can enter your TGB username and password:

[/quote]

It doesn’t work.  

Validation Error
                          An error occurred validating a field. Please go to the previous page and try again.

swoon

Unfortunately, I’m having problems too. When I signed out to take the screen capture above, I can no longer log in 🙁

WhatHappend

I am working with MS on the validation error when trying to migrate my TGB account.  They are stumped so far and hoped to have it solved in the morning.

Others having the same issue might want to post here so they know I am not the only one:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/general_topics/f/142/p/100731/534279.aspx

They have fixed TGB password reset now.

People should leave constructive feedback to improve the new site here: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/23/t/100740.aspx

I have had contact with an Expert Community Admin that says they will be looking over feedback in the coming days to improve this communities’ usability based on our feedback.

dharper40

Your link just sends me to the same sign in screen for migrating or setting up new account. I did manage to reset the TGB password but continue to get the validation error. Even thou i really didnt want to, I decided to go ahead and start a new account, but cant do that either apparently, because it says theres already an account with that email address. Getting alittle frustrated. Forgot to add, someone apparently just posted on a subject that i was involved in before the switch, I just got the email.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.