Review: Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad CableCARD Tuner – Part I

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Review: Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad CableCARD Tuner – Part I

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 169 total)
  • Author
    mikinho
    Participant

[quote=”JohnCz”]
      The channel changing performance is promising.  I’ve never used multiple tuners before in Media Center.  I’m looking to give my wife nearly instanteous channel flip between two channels.  Can that be achieved if we mark one channel for recording and tune another channel?  Essentially forcing a 2nd tuner to be used.  In this case, when she switches back to the show being recorded, Media Center is smart enough to just use the tuner/buffering already in use…without 2-3 sec delay.
      [/quote]

Funny you ask.  In this particular scenario, hitting record and changing channels, it performs in the upper time range.  Speaking with Jeremy it appears that some unknown reason Media Center itself takes a few extra seconds to communicate with the InfiniTV in this scenario.

I have some ideas on why but it is pure speculation at this point.  Regardless, even in this scenario the channel changing is ~5-7 seconds.  Well within an acceptable range for me and more importantly my wife.  Our Comcast STB takes around 6 seconds to change channels.

Anonymous

Being in Houston as well. You have any issues picking up a Cablecard from Comcast or do I need a truck roll?

great review….. and now i am pissed i didnt preorder…

looks like ill have to wait a little bit 🙁

mikinho
        Participant

[quote=”denonsix”]
          Being in Houston as well. You have any issues picking up a Cablecard from Comcast or do I need a truck roll?
          [/quote]

My only issue has been finding stores with CableCARDs in stock.  I recommend calling ahead.  I had to go to a total of SIX Comcast stores to find two CableCARDs.  Ok my wife actually went but…

I spoke for some time with a Comcast manager in my area concerning the InfiniTV.  She seemed concerned on the availability of CableCARDs at the stores.  Installers should have plenty.  My impression is that Comcast basically hands out CableCARDs that were previously used in the their set top boxes as I was told that they have not received a shipment of “new” CableCARDs since the end of 2008.

I’m a freak when it comes to used electronics, even if I will never see the CableCARDs outside of the InfiniTV it really irritates me that they are used and slightly beat up.  From a business perspective it makes sense though.  The CableCARDs in the STB are installed at the factory.  When they are returned or broken it is cheapereasier to redistribute them to customers.

Anonymous

[quote=”Mikinho”]
            [quote=”denonsix”]
            [/quote]

My only issue has been finding stores with CableCARDs in stock.  I recommend calling ahead.  I had to go to a total of SIX Comcast stores to find two CableCARDs.  Ok my wife actually went but…

I spoke for some time with a Comcast manager in my area concerning the InfiniTV.  She seemed concerned on the availability of CableCARDs at the stores.  Installers should have plenty.  My impression is that Comcast basically hands out CableCARDs that were previously used in the their set top boxes as I was told that they have not received a shipment of “new” CableCARDs since the end of 2008.

I’m a freak when it comes to used electronics, even if I will never see the CableCARDs outside of the InfiniTV it really irritates me that they are used and slightly beat up.  From a business perspective it makes sense though.  The CableCARDs in the STB are installed at the factory.  When they are returned or broken it is cheapereasier to redistribute them to customers.
            [/quote]

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll stop by a few local stores (since I can’t seem to find the local store phone numbers anywhere). Hopefully i’ll be able to find one- since I live near Cannon PC, hoping to pick my InfiniTV 4 up as soon as it becomes available. Nice review!

Anonymous

[quote=”DBayPlaya2k3″]
              Oh and please thank your Wife for the editorial she wrote and the SAF. My Girlfriend and I experience the exact same problems that your wife spoke of with the ATI DCT. I showed the article to my Girlfriend yesterday and needless to say she was very pleased. I guess it meant a lot more for her since she saw someone else’s perspective on this.
              [/quote]

Hi, Mrs. Mikinho here.  Knowing that others (woman) have encountered the same frustrations (I’m not alone!) makes me feel a lot better about my contribution.  Glad I could help.

mikinho
              Participant

I’ve updated the review with a photo gallery, I’ll be adding captions as time permits.  But if you have any questions please ask.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
                I’ve updated the review with a photo gallery, I’ll be adding captions as time permits.  But if you have any questions please ask.
                [/quote]

Thanks for posting those. Judging by the 3 PCBs there, they could shave quite a bit of cost if they could pack a single board more densely.

mikinho
                Participant

I was going to dissect it for photos but I’d like to keep the warranty, at least for now 🙂

Plus I think my wife would kill me at this point, she really is happy having it.

I don’t blame you… so it looks like the RF cable is run to the back of the board and there are two tuners there with a heat sink/and/or can. Then there is the daughterboard on top of it that looks like another two tuners so that they can depopulate that and sell the two tuner version.

Quick question’s.

1. Does the Ceton Tuner have individual LED’s like the ATI DCT
                  2. If it does do they change color depending on signal status
                  3. Once the Tuner’s are paired and authorized will the web page reflect this change. I went through your gallery and the pictures of the 4 tuners all had the status of not authorized. I am assuming this might have been before they were paired but i don’t know for sure.

mikinho
                  Participant

Just got a funny (hate) e-mail regarding the screenshot where the network adapter is listed as “Ceton InfiniTV Network Device #2”

I do NOT have two of them.  It is listed as #2 since I tested the InfiniTV is every PCI-e slot to ensure it worked in the PCIe x16 slot.  Some manufacturers disable onboard graphics when ANY device is present in the primary PCIe x16 slot, luckily Intel doesn’t.

mikinho
                    Participant

[quote=”DBayPlaya2k3″]
                      Quick question’s.

1. Does the Ceton Tuner have individual LED’s like the ATI DCT
                      2. If it does do they change color depending on signal status
                      3. Once the Tuner’s are paired and authorized will the web page reflect this change. I went through your gallery and the pictures of the 4 tuners all had the status of not authorized. I am assuming this might have been before they were paired but i don’t know for sure.
                      [/quote]

#1- I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know.  I believe there was a red LED inside but I can’t say with 100% certainty.  I will update in ~5 hours.

#2- Same as above

#3- Yes it will be updated.  I’ll add a screenshot in less than 10 minutes to reflect the change.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
                      Just got a funny (hate) e-mail regarding the screenshot where the network adapter is listed as “Ceton InfiniTV Network Device #2”

I do NOT have two of them.  It is listed as #2 since I tested the InfiniTV is every PCI-e slot to ensure it worked in the PCIe x16 slot.  Some manufacturers disable onboard graphics when ANY device is present in the primary PCIe x16 slot, luckily Intel doesn’t.
                      [/quote]

That’s funny guess some people dont think. I would have though it was showing up as #2 since it’s your second NIC. Since the Ceton shows up more like a Network interface card your onboard nic would probally be NIC #1 and the Ceton would be Nic #2 at least that’s what i would think.

[quote=”DBayPlaya2k3″]
                      That’s funny guess some people dont think. I would have though it was showing up as #2 since it’s your second NIC. Since the Ceton shows up more like a Network interface card your onboard nic would probally be NIC #1 and the Ceton would be Nic #2 at least that’s what i would think.
                      [/quote]

Actually, Windows will create a #2 when you have already installed the card in one slot and then install the card into a 2nd slot, even if the first card is no longer installed. Windows actually has the device under the device manager as a hidden device. It makes some sense because this new device has a different hardware address in the new slot and it also means that if it is say a USB device, you don’t have to reinstall the driver everytime you plug the device in.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 169 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.