Naylia
Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
That’s why I put the poll up. I was trying to figure out if I should buy a tripod for use shooting video for my next review. But if photos are the preferred method, I won’t bother.
Of course it’s probably just staff voting for photos because they’re lazy…but then again once you have a tripod is shooting some video actually easier? No resizing. Only one thing to upload and put in article…
Wow, not a single taker for video yet? Let’s get more votes!!
The other bit of speculation is around full support for Cable Card. Sage has licensed PlayReady DRM, which is the DRM used for CableCard on PCs. The new HD300 also uses a processor that supports PlayReady DRM.
Netflix has also moved to PlayReady, so maybe that’s the target. We won’t know until Sage formally releases something. But some of the pieces are coming into place.
Excellent, it made me sad that LPCM was being down-mixed. There are lots of great Blu-rays that have LPCM as their only HD audio track.
It’s almost a step backwards in some ways. The prior box had quite a dedicated mod community.
[quote=”SageTV Announcement in Forum”]SageTV HD Theater 300 and all accessories are available at http://www.sagetv.com and costs $149.95. The optional USB Wireless g/n adapter is $29.95. The optional external IR receiver is $7.95. SageTV Media Center software, the DVR/Media Center software for Windows, Mac or Linux, costs $79.95. SageTV Placeshifter an add-on to SageTV Media Center allows live and recorded TV to be watched at home or anywhere over the internet, costs $29.95. [/quote]
Doesn’t sound like promotional pricing.
I figure that with the HD300 selling for $149, it’ll still be possible to get $100-$120 for gently used HD200’s on eBay or through the forums. Makes the upgrade pretty reasonably priced if you benefit from the new features. I think there are probably users out there that even with the improvements, might not see a benefit in their specific setup.
Used is a great way to go on a receiver. Looking at some of the brands, if you can find a model from about 2 years back, you can still have your cake and eat it too. HDMI 1.3a with HD audio format support was around, and still bundled with analog in and out, along with Audessey EQ for much less money that on a new AVR today.
Sorry to hear that….
Yup, they’ve ripped out all the analog circuitry on a lot of AVRs to reduce cost. It’s no fun.
I did a blog where i got Blu-ray playback working fine on a Athlon Mobile 2400+. You could still use that in a pretty low wattage client computer that runs XP.
August 30, 2010 at 6:20 pm in reply to: How to convert AVCHD to iPad, iphone 4, iPod, Apple TV, PSP, PS3, BlackBerry… #27611It is…this is at least the third time he’s posted it. But it has gotten more in depth over time…
Yes – he owns an X-Meridian
In my setup – for almost all my sources – audio goes to the AVR, video goes to the TV. All connections to the tv are HDMI or component depending on the source. All audio connections are analog or SPDIF.
Running video direct to the tv means you can’t rely on the AVR to perform input switching by itself, but it also means that when anything changes with regards to my ability to output a video signal I only have to worry about the tv.
Now with the AVR – there are a couple reasons to upgrade:
– More power
– New featuresIMO, you are much better off increasing power by adding external amplification. Upgrading from a 90W AVR to a 100W AVR is not going to buy you the headroom of dedicated amplification. Nicely, my older Denon has 7.1 PreOuts. This have since been removed from any Denon model less than $1200 (wouldn’t want anyone buying the $379 Denon and adding their own amplification 🙂 ).
New features falls into two categories for me – Surround format support and other. In Sound formats we have DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD. In the Other category there are things like Audessy EQ.
With a full HTPC running Blu-ray playback I have decoding support for DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD in my PC and can send this to my AVR using Analog out. The same would be possible if you have an old AVR with just HDMI 1.0 or some such. Decode in the computer and output LPCM. None of my other sources take advantage these formats. So no worries there.
These leaves me with Auddessy EQ as a reason to upgrade. It’s tempting, but tough to justify considering that that would be the only thing I would get from a new AVR. Theoretically I have Room Correction in Windows 7 – I’m just a little scared of it, and I think one issue is that to use it I have to revert to the Win7 default audio driver. Maybe I’ll try that one day and see how it sounds.
As long as I can continue to support new surround formats on the HTPC, there is little value to upgrading my AVR.
Actually, my obsolete sound card is what enables me to avoid investing any money in slightly improved receiver after slightly improved receiver. Out of my entire setup it has made my AVR the one thing I don’t care about upgrading. If I got new speakers, I might be tempted to add an external amp, but the AVR would still be a completely functional PrePro.
I can always run my video direct to the tv and not have to worry about my AVR molesting it because it supports the wrong HDMI version.
I read the article a little deeper and it brings up the idea of sending video to a friend – so if you watched a show and loved it you could “fling” it to their playlist.
-
AuthorPosts
