Review: SageTV STP-HD300

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Review: SageTV STP-HD300

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

The other bit of speculation is around full support for Cable Card. Sage has licensed PlayReady DRM, which is the DRM used for CableCard on PCs. The new HD300 also uses a processor that supports PlayReady DRM.

Netflix has also moved to PlayReady, so maybe that’s the target. We won’t know until Sage formally releases something. But some of the pieces are coming into place.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
    Currently the InfiniTV4’s native support is limited to 7MC; however, Babgvant (Andy) released SageMCTuner that lets you use a CableCARD in SageTV.  It is limited to Copy-Freely content and has a delay.

With CableLabs’ approved change to the OpenCable specifications Ceton + SageTV will be able to add native support for the InfiniTV4 + Copy-Freely content but currently no ETA for that.
    [/quote]

Um I am not sure i understand. SageMCTuner lets you watch live tv but only on channels marked copy freely but using SageTv instead of MCE?

mikinho
    Participant

[quote=”joao12345″]
      Um I am not sure i understand. SageMCTuner lets you watch live tv but only on channels marked copy freely but using SageTv instead of MCE?
      [/quote]

More or less.  In the background SageMCTuner uses the 7MC APIs to schedule a recording and then streams that recording to SageTV so you’ll have a few seconds delay.  I’m over simplifying it as well but it works.

UPDATED:  New firmware enables multichannel PCM output on the HD300.

http://www.geektonic.com/2010/09/sagetv-hd300-review-update-multi.html

[quote=”autoboy”]
      UPDATED:  New firmware enables multichannel PCM output on the HD300.

http://www.geektonic.com/2010/09/sagetv-hd300-review-update-multi.html
      [/quote]

You’re a little late.  😉  From the previous page…

[quote=”babgvant”]
      A firmware update was released tonight that addresses the multi-channel PCM issue.  Non Dobly/DTS multi-channel formats are output as multi-channel PCM now.
      [/quote]

Anonymous

[quote=”Naylia”]
        The other bit of speculation is around full support for Cable Card. Sage has licensed PlayReady DRM, which is the DRM used for CableCard on PCs. The new HD300 also uses a processor that supports PlayReady DRM.

Netflix has also moved to PlayReady, so maybe that’s the target. We won’t know until Sage formally releases something. But some of the pieces are coming into place.
        [/quote]

I really like this device, I can’t believe it is so small. If Sage can get cablecard support for my Ceton, I could be tempted over to Sage. Unfortunately I’m on TWC and get virtually nothing copy-freely, so I’d need full cablecard support.

How can we tell if we are marked copy freely?  I’m in Los Altos CA with Comcast

[quote=”Naylia”]

[/quote]

SageTV almost HAS to enable Cable Card and Netflix or else there will be a lot of disappointed folks.  The rumors have me really excited.

Anonymous

[quote=”autoboy”]
          How can we tell if we are marked copy freely?  I’m in Los Altos CA with Comcast
          [/quote]

I’m not sure besides looking into it on say AVSForums or the Tivo forums, every market is different. Comcast generally has a friendlier policy of marking stuff copy freely, I believe they normally only mark pay channels (HBO, etc) as copy once. I think there is a general industry trend towards using more restrictive settings though, as Frontier Fios customers have found out. What would suck would be to invest in a Sage HTPC and extenders plus a $400 Ceton card, then one day have all your channels marked copy once and not be able to watch anything but local channels. That’s one reason it is important for Sage to fully support cablecard. Of course the other reason is because I can’t use Sage at all to begin with because TWC is so draconian with their DRM settings 🙁

Andrew Van Til
          Keymaster
          Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.