New line of HTPC chassis

Home Forums Home Theater Computers New line of HTPC chassis

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Looking over the cases which would be similar to my Antec Fusion, I had a few thoughts.  What size fans are being used in these?  Are they quality, quiet fans, like Nexus?  Also, what are you doing for noise isolation for hard drives and to keep vibration of the case itself to a minimum?

PHT

80mm in e6 and e7, 60mm in e5 and eHD10.
      There are quiet but to answer your question I should compare both fans in the same conditions.
      For isolation – rubber.  I added some pictures to show it.

Regards

[quote=”PHT”]
      80mm in e6 and e7, 60mm in e5 and eHD10.
      There are quiet but to answer your question I should compare both fans in the same conditions.
      For isolation – rubber.  I added some pictures to show it.

Regards
      [/quote]

I like the hard drive mount.  Will you have something similar for the DVD drive?

Definitely test multiple fans.  For reference, most people use SilentPCReview to figure out what fan to buy.  They even have a nice [url=http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html]list[/url] breaking them down.  You may notice that there are no 60mm fans listed.  This is due to the difficulty in finding any quiet 60mm fans on the market.  With how nice all your cases are, they beg to be “shown off”, rather than hidden away.  If they’re loud, this won’t be possible, though.

With the shorter cases, you obviously can’t use 80mm fans, but what might be better is more fans spinning at slower speeds.  The eHD10 really comes to mind here.  I’m no expert on airflow, but I think the design might need some tweaking.  With 10 hard drives in there, it’s going to get warm.  I don’t know the direction of the 4 fans being shown, but I have trouble believing all drives are going to receive airflow from the fans.  Just my opinion here.

Andrew Van Til
      Keymaster

[quote=”Skirge01″]
        This is due to the difficulty in finding any quiet 60mm fans on the market. 
        [/quote]

SilentX makes a very quiet 60mm.

mikinho
        Participant

[quote=”babgvant”]

SilentX makes a very quiet 60mm.

[/quote]

Have you used them long?  I’ve tried 4 different models and they are extremely quiet…for about a month and then the high pitched whine starts.  I’ve had several that lasted 6 months but thats it.  I even RMA’d a few thinking it could be a bad batch and but same outcome.

Andrew Van Til
          Keymaster

[quote=”Mikinho”]
            Have you used them long?  I’ve tried 4 different models and they are extremely quiet…for about a month and then the high pitched whine starts.  I’ve had several that lasted 6 months but thats it.  I even RMA’d a few thinking it could be a bad batch and but same outcome.
            [/quote]

I have had 4 or 5 of their 60/80mm fans (using a 60 and an 80 in my main box right now).  Usually have to replace them after ~18 months so not quite as hardy as some other vendors, but acceptable considering the CFM @dba.

PHT

Changes made to back of e6 and e6V.

Regards

Andrew Van Til
              Keymaster

[quote=”PHT”]

Regards
                [/quote]

Does the change impact the dimensions of the case or just move the board forward inside?

PHT

[quote=”babgvant”]
                  [quote=”PHT”]

Regards
                  [/quote]

Does the change impact the dimensions of the case or just move the board forward inside?
                  [/quote]Move the board forward inside

Andrew Van Til
                  Keymaster

[quote=”PHT”]
                    Move the board forward inside
                    [/quote]

It looks like the 24 pin power connector on many boards will end up underneath the optical drive tray, so moving it further under the tray may be an issue.

PHT

I assembled them and there is no problem.  You have to remove ODD tray anyway.

Andrew Van Til
                      Keymaster

[quote=”PHT”]
                        I assembled them and there is no problem.  You have to remove ODD tray anyway.
                        [/quote]

So there’s plenty of space above the connector for the cable to bend w/o torquing the board?

PHT

Evaluate it yourself, please.  I always bend cables before inserting 24 pin plug in MoBo anyway.

Andrew Van Til
                          Keymaster

[quote=”PHT”]
                            Evaluate it yourself, please.  I always bend cables before inserting 24 pin plug in MoBo anyway.
                            [/quote]

I can’t tell from the pictures if it would be a concern (which is why I asked).  It’s a common issue with small LP cases; easy enough to fix with an 24 pin extension with very flexible wires.  Maybe you could sell one as an optional accessory?

PHT

Hi Guys

Like many of you, I am tired of blue color almost everywhere. I like to change blue color of power ring to green or white (when ON).
                              What is your opinion? Who wants blue, who green and who white?

Regards

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.