Movie Viewing

Home Forums Windows Media Center Movie Viewing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Techbutton
    Participant

I have recently went through and started an extensive backup of all my collection of DVD and Bluray to my machine for viewing on my TV and transfering to various tablets for my childern to watch. The problem I am having is I have to many and it will consitantly freeze up my Extender or PC when someone goes to the Movie section of Media Center. I have tried Media Browser but that keeps crashing as well.

What do you guys recommend? How should I break it up? To put a temp fix I have created a new folder that is attached to the media library that I copy the movie file to to watch it on the extender and then delete it when I am done, but there has to be a better way.

Mike Garcen

how many movies are we talking here? Have you tried My Movies? 

oliverredfox

I still use MCE for watching/recording TV shows but I do most of my movie/TV backup serving off Plex Media Server.  I find it convenient for watching on my tablets, Roku, and LG TV (has support build in for it).  I don’t know how many movies you just ripped but I’ve got a decent sized collection and it hasn’t brought my system down yet.

Techbutton

A lot.. by last count 413… give or take a few.. Yes my movies is a no go.. I might try plex..

Mike Garcen

[quote=Techbutton]

A lot.. by last count 413… give or take a few.. Yes my movies is a no go.. I might try plex..

[/quote]

gah, i have like 200+ and no problem, but yeah, ur doubling me up. I wonder what the bottleneck is. What happens, it just hangs?

babgvant

[quote=Mike Garcen]

gah, i have like 200+ and no problem, but yeah, ur doubling me up. I wonder what the bottleneck is. What happens, it just hangs?

[/quote]

IIRC WMC rebuilds the movie library when you load the Movies Experience. So having a lot of movies spread out across the network kills the performance. RecTV used to work the same way back in the day, MS fixed that with a cache (file, then db based) design. Pretty sure they never got around to making Movies work properly.

Techbutton

Just hangs and spins and I have to close out or force quit to move on.. All the movies are in one spot.. but maybe the homeserver is slowing everything down.. maybe I will take that out of the equation right now and try it again..

babgvant

[quote=Techbutton]

Just hangs and spins and I have to close out or force quit to move on.. All the movies are in one spot.. but maybe the homeserver is slowing everything down.. maybe I will take that out of the equation right now and try it again..

[/quote]

The problem is a bad design which doesn’t scale, not your home server.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.