How do I totally wipe out my guide and channel lineup

Home Forums Windows Media Center How do I totally wipe out my guide and channel lineup

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    PAPutzback
    Spectator

I did something wrong with MCBackup and my guide has dupes as does my recording schedule. I want to wipe both and try restoring just my recording schedule with MCbackup/

Aaron Ledger

To reset your WMC database, close WMC, open an elevated command prompt and enter

mcupdate -MediaCenterRecoveryTask 

SJMaye

Interesting.  A while back I had a couple occasions that the MC database became corrupt.  I followed this site’s recommendation.  It worked, but it was sort of slash and burn.  Had to start over as if I just opened MC for the first time.

What will your recommendation change and leave alone?

Aaron Ledger

That will work, but the mcupdate method is using the built-in MS function for starting WMC from scratch.

PAPutzback

Sweet. I’ll give it a shot tonight. I tried the MCE Reset Toolbox from the MadeForMediaCenter site and didn’t have any luck. I have a guide showing on my HTPC but this app and the MC Guide editor on this site didn’t show anything.

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/25/t/101687.aspx

SJMaye

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

That will work, but the mcupdate method is using the built-in MS function for starting WMC from scratch.

[/quote]

I agree. I would rather use that method.  As I recall the method I mentioned takes me back to square one.  Have to reset everything in MC all over again.  Is the result the same? 

Aaron Ledger

I believe the end result should be similar.

SJMaye

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

I believe the end result should be similar.

[/quote]

But more simple, probably safer.  I like it.

PAPutzback

I get some error like mcupdate is not a recognizable program

Aaron Ledger

Did you use the elevated command prompt?

You can also run this from the Task Scheduler.

PAPutzback

I found that the path to the MCUpdate.exe is not in an environment variable so I could not run it from anywhere. I had to search my system for it and then use shift+right click to get the “Open command window from here” prompt and then run the command from that directory. 

That wiped me out, thanks. The only issue I had after that was that MCE setup would not find my CC tuners, only the HDHR tuners. So I had to uninstall the Ceton driver and reinstall.

Now I ran mcbackup after to restore my scheduled recordings and it still wants to record every showing of some shows even though they are set to record new episodes only. I think I’ll clean that up as I see the shows that have the issue. A simple delete the recording and set it again should work, hopefully.

Aaron Ledger

Sorry, I should have specified the ehome directory. To perform the same task, you can also go through Task Scheduler.

Recover

SJMaye

Well I think the time has come that I may need this help.  MC is crashing everytime I go in to My Movies.  I am guessing something is corrupt.  Should I try this method?  Or try changing the locations for my movie libraries?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.