Best tuner upgrade strategy? (Original HDHR to 2 new HDHR’s)

Home Forums Windows Media Center Best tuner upgrade strategy? (Original HDHR to 2 new HDHR’s)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

What is the best way to go about upgrading my old HDHR dual tuner (white version) in MC7?  I have 2 new HDHR’s coming from the recent Woot deal, and want to take each input from the white HDHR (one OTA, one QAM) and feed into each new unit to get 2 OTA and 2 QAM. 

I dont want to have to wipe all my tuner setup in MC7 (other tuner is a HDHR 3CC cable card tuner) and lose all my favorites, guide, etc.

Should it be as simple as shutting down MC7, removing the old unit, and installing the new ones, startup the HTPC and run the HDHR setup tool to get the lineup info into each unit, and scan for new tuners?  Any other pitfalls to expect?

captain_video

You’ll have to rerun the HDHR setup and let it scan the newly discovered tuners.  You’ll then need to rerun Media Center setup for the TV signal to let it find the new tuners and add them to your configuration.  I’m not sure if it retains any favorite channel lineups so you may have to set them up again from scratch.

Kirby

Is Media Center robust enough to remove the ‘missing’ tuners and associated channels that were on them?  Last thing I want to have happen is have MC remember the old tuners and recognize the new ones as well, and when a show fires up to record have MC try and record it on the removed tuner source.  Have to say, this is one area that I really miss SageTV.  They way you could have complete control over the tuners.

captain_video

When you rerun TV signal setup, Media Center essentially wipes the slate clean and starts over from scratch.  It will only list the tuners it finds when it rescans your PC.

Kirby

Got it, thanks!  Sounds like I definitely need to backup my recording schedule/favorites then to be safe before I swap out the tuners.

captain_video

Your recording schedule won’t be affected, but your channel list will likely reset back to default.  I recently added a standard HDHomeRun to my setup in addition to my existing Ceton InfiniTV4, two Hauppauge 2250’s, and a HDHR Prime.  When I tried to watch live TV I got a message that all tuners were busy.  I reran the HDHR setup and scanned the channels for the newly discovered tuners.  After that I reran TV signal setup in Media Center.  When it finished it found the new tuners and added them to the mix.  My recording schedule was untouched.  I haven’t actually checked to see if my favorite channels list was still there, but I seem to recall that anytiome you rerun the TV signal setup it wipes any favorites lists you may have set up previously.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.