kataleen
Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Here are the pictures and a few words on the CPU Cooler: http://wp.me/pi5wi-u
Probably not since there is a known issue with the Zotac BIOS update. It bricks the board.
Just finished building the HTPC last night. All in all I am very happy with the choices I finally made, some of them thanks for this forum.
Before I will post pictures and details, I just wanted to say that the Slim X3 cooler worked like a charm. The brackets had to be installed on the cooler itself (not on the other side of the board). On the back side of the board I only had to add some rubber washers and screws.The clearance is about 1-2 mm on one side, between the cooler and the capacitors. It was so close that I spent about 30 minutes with a powerful flashlight trying to see if the cooler touches the capacitors. I finally had to make a decision even though I was not 100% sure.
Pictures soon.
Just went to the store and bought the i3 530. I wanted the 540 initially, but this one was on sale and the difference in performance is quite small. I measured the stock HSF and it’s 45mm exactly from the heatplate to the top of the fan. I guess, generally people measure it from the MB or from the tip of the pushpins.
Perfect
ThanksHere’s a pic of the back of the board:
http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/598#1And here’s the pic with the cooler brackets:
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Upload/Product/Product/1966/Photos/1171b3f1-ca03-43b0-a3d3-1b1a6cefc35e/B_Package%20Accessories.jpg.jpgI am not sure though how the brackets are mounted on the back of the board in that picture, vertically of horizontally. Either way, in the upper part there seems to some problems.
Thing is, I don’t have any experience with this type of mounting as I only used the push pin type coolers. (Just getting out of the cave)
As I mentioned in the first post, I am planning on using the H55ITX-A-E.
As a side note, the review will be more than welcome.
Please do. Would be nice to see.
[quote]I think the comments on that site are missing the fact that it’s about half the height of the Intel cooler.[/quote]
I agree with you. Most people there rant about how Silverstone rebranded the stock HSF from Intel. I don’t care about that too much as long as Intel did not make a 35mm HSF.
However, I’d like to know if anyone knows any other suggestions for a LGA1156 low profile HSF. So far I have these:
[list]
[*]Silverstone Nitrogon NT07-1156: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=NT07-1156&area=usa%5B/*:m%5D
[*]COOLER MASTER DP6-9EDSA-0L-GP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103086%5B/*:m%5D
[*]Thermaltake Slim X3: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1417&ID=1966#Tab1%5B/*:m%5D%5B/list:u%5DWhat do you think of the third one? Couldn’t find reviews yet, but everybody seems excited about it.
[quote=”Mikinho”]
My issue with the Silverstone is the push pins, can’t stand them.
[/quote]Is there anything wrong with them in particular? Or just hard to work with?
I’ll just keep posting my findings here for anyone looking into the same thing, which is low profile i3/i5 heatsinks.
I just found out that Silverstone has made an LGA1156 version of the Nitrogon NT07-775. This is a 36mm HSF apparently able to keep up with the i3/i5 CPUs.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=NT07-1156&area=usa
And a brief review: http://www.techpowerup.com/126500/SilverStone_Intros_Nitrogon_NT07-1156_CPU_Cooler.htmlThis should fit the bill for the Chenbro case.
[quote]The manufacturer’s page says this one is 47mm tall:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103086%5B/quote%5DThanks, the COOLER MASTER DP6-9EDSA-0L-GP is also a good option. However, if Silverstone is right when they say the 35mm HSF is very efficient and compares to bigger ones, I’d prefer to pay the premium and go for Silverstone and have more room (airflow) above the HSF.
Apparently the stock HSF for i3 is around 60mm.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2067619
http://superuser.com/questions/153485/will-the-core-i3-stock-cooler-fit-in-a-2u-caseMikinho: I would be glad if you could confirm though.
[quote]Sure thing. If you click the download button on the page you linked to, it brings you to a page which has the PDF link.[/quote]
Blind me. I guess I got tunnel vision when seeing that pretty case. Didn’t think of checking the download button.
After doing some reading in the manual, I see indeed that they mention a 45mm heatsink. Do you know if that includes a fan? If not, can the i3 survive without a fan?
I also found this one, also in 45mm flavor.
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=54405&vpn=Samuel%2017&manufacture=ProlimatechI need to mention that the htpc will be used mainly for 1080p video and non CPU-intensive apps.
Good point, however, I am the kind of guy that likes to have pretty things to look at 🙂
Ask my wife 😀Joke aside, I am not very fond of black cube cases. I also have a limited height in the media cabinet, and the Chenbro would have fitted snugly in there.
If it’s not meant to be, then I will most probably look more into flat (deck style) cases. But…you know…you never get over that first one!
Thanks Skirge01. Talk about refreshing, it’s been a while since I’ve been “Welcomed” on a forum.
So what’s your two cents on this? Do I stand a chance with an i3 or am I going to fall into the “more functional than pretty” camp, with another case?
BTW, care to share how you came across the installation manual? Or maybe just post it?
Thanks
-
AuthorPosts
