Chenbro Case – Low profile case and HSF

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Chenbro Case – Low profile case and HSF

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    mikinho
    Participant

Either direction and there is some interference.  On that board you can leave 1 bracket alone as it installs fine on the bottom and the other cut into 2 parts.  When testing the Thermaltake Slim X3 i used the same bracket that I had previously cut as they are a standard thread size.

Perfect
      Thanks

mikinho
      Participant

I’ll post more on the Thermaltake Slim X3 soon so keep an eye out on Missing Remote.

While I did find the fan too loud in a M350, the M350 is completely ventilated.  In the Chenbro case with the 4 other fans and compartments I doubt you’ll hear it at all.

While I have no experience with the Slim X3, I’m currently using 3 other Thermaltake HSFs in my computers and absolutely love them.  My sole complaint is the way they mount the fans.  They’re just not always easy to attach.  The Slim looks like it might be an easier one to mount, though.

Just went to the store and bought the i3 530. I wanted the 540 initially, but this one was on sale and the difference in performance is quite small. I measured the stock HSF and it’s 45mm exactly from the heatplate to the top of the fan. I guess, generally people measure it from the MB or from the tip of the pushpins.

mikinho
        Participant

If you haven’t checked it out yet, Andy’s (babgvant) review of the Intel i3-530 is what prompted me to get one: [url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4701&Itemid=236&limit=1&limitstart=5]Review: Intel DH57JG and Core i3-530[/url].  I haven’t been disappointed, in fact I have an Intel Core i5 that I’m about done reviewing as well now.

Just finished building the HTPC last night. All in all I am very happy with the choices I finally made, some of them thanks for this forum.
          Before I will post pictures and details, I just wanted to say that the Slim X3 cooler worked like a charm. The brackets had to be installed on the cooler itself (not on the other side of the board). On the back side of the board I only had to add some rubber washers and screws.

The clearance is about 1-2 mm on one side, between the cooler and the capacitors. It was so close that I spent about 30 minutes with a powerful flashlight trying to see if the cooler touches the capacitors. I finally had to make a decision even though I was not 100% sure.

Pictures soon.

Here are the pictures and a few words on the CPU Cooler: http://wp.me/pi5wi-u

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.