XBOX 360 a good wireless extender?

Home Forums Windows Media Center XBOX 360 a good wireless extender?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    SJMaye

That sounds great.  I ordered 4 of the Actiontec units.  Although it is more expensive than running ethernet cabling it sure will save time and effort.

Thanks for your help, Aaron.

Aaron Ledger

No problem. Good luck with the ActionTec units and let us know how they work for you. 

It appears that the units come with coax terminators for cases where the internal diplexer is not being used. I definitely recommend using them if not using those ports. Termination should be used on any wall outlet/splitter port etc. that is not directly connected to some piece of receiving/transmitting equipment. This prevents signal ingress/egress and provides proper impedance matching for the line which are all good things. In case you need more, they are inexpensive e.g. here’s a pack of 10 for $5.

SJMaye

Hello Aaron et al,

I installed the Actiontec units.  Truly plug and play.  Attached wires and powered up.  Immediately worked.  WOW!  That rarely happens for me.  I have three of the Actiontec units installed (at router, at media center, at extender TV) and one extender working fine.  Highly recommended for those who need a network, but do not want to get in to the mess of running wire.

Now I just need to get the filter to make sure no one can access my network from outside. 

Aaron Ledger

That’s great. I am glad that they are working well for you and thanks for the update.

SJMaye

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

Regarding security, if the units do not support encryption, you can physically make your network secure by placing a filter that blocks out frequencies above 1GHz at the cable drop. You just need to make sure that your MoCA adapters are communicating at frequencies above 1GHz to be secure. Here’s an example of a filter that is designed for this.

[/quote]

Aaron, your link to the filter seems to be bad.  Do you have another?

Aaron Ledger

That’s odd. It still works for me. Try searching for PCTLPF1002. You can find at the PCT or ChannelMaster store (same company, PCT is their commercial branding).

SJMaye

Thanks Aaron.  Seems the site just m,ust have been down yesterday becuase now your link is working.  Ordered the filter.

Any idea why auto email was not to me sent telling me why you had replied to this thread?  Odd.

SJMaye

Another question.  One of my TVs extender is an XBOX 360 and working well.  Is there any way to use the USB MC remote receiver on an XBOX?

Aaron Ledger

RE: e-mail, we may be having some technical difficulties with some site upgrades. I don’t get them anymore either 🙁

If you have an RC6 WMC IR remote, it should “just work.” No USB dongle required.

SJMaye

Remote works fine, but the XBOX is located a little out of the line of sight.  I had hoped there would be a way to make the usb dongle to work.

einstein

I don’t think it’s possible. I was hoping to do the same thing, keep the Xbox out of sight. I tried plugging in a WMC USB dongle, didn’t work. I tried plugging the IR Blaster into the WMC dongle hoping it would work as an IR repeater, didn’t work either. I googled, it didnt seem like anyone else had made it work either.  I finally bought a well-reviewed IR repeater from Amazon, but haven’t hooked it up yet. I have to find a way to vent the heat out of the cabinet before I can close the Xbox away. 

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.