What antivirus for WHS2011

Home Forums Home Theater Computers What antivirus for WHS2011

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    mcewinter

I haven’t run a full scan yet but that’s the plan.  I think a quick scan daily offers enough peace of mind so long as real time is enabled, imo.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Supposedly MSSE beta 2 will work on whs2011. Not what anyone wants but better than nothing or paying for other products.

st3lvio

I can’t seem to get this to install. I copied the x64 folder from the ISO and I’m trying to install from that folder location. But I get this:

Install Fails

I’m I missing a simple command or space? Details please, thanks.

mikinho

Put quotes around the command you are trying to run.

i.e.

“C:UsersAdministratorDownloadsCurrent ApplicationsForefront Client Securityx64clientsetup.exe” /nomom

That is when the tab auto-complete is a godsend.

st3lvio

[quote=mikinho]

Put quotes around the command you are trying to run.

i.e.

“C:UsersAdministratorDownloadsCurrent ApplicationsForefront Client Securityx64clientsetup.exe” /nomom

That is when the tab auto-complete is a godsend.

[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll try it again tonight. I knew it was “simple”

st3lvio

That worked, thanks Michael.

After installing, it tells me there is a new version available. It takes me to Here:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=Forefront+Client+security

On that page there is just under 900 MB of security updates, critical updates, and a service pack. I downloaded them all. But when I go into help and check for updates (& microsoft/windows update) there is only one 4 MB definition update.

Do I need to install each one of these 21 updates?

Sorry to be so particular, but I just want to get right.

Thanks again.

mikinho

The update is difficult to find but I thought it was covered by Microsoft Updates in the “Optional” section.

It has been a while since I’ve installed it though, I’ll rebuild my WHS 2011 and test it out tonight for you.

st3lvio

Thanks for your time.

There is an “check for updates” button in the Help tab, it just downloads the latest definitions. When I installed it took me here:

M$ Update Catalog

My version (after hitting “Check for Updates”):

Forefront Client Security Version

I know it’s “free for testing” with my TechNet subscription, but I’m not sure if I’m running the latest software version (or the 2006 version with updated definitions).

I’m wondering if I should go ahead and start installing the service pack 1 (dated 8/25/2008)? In windows update, the files were only a few MB in size, so maybe I’m just getting updates for the Client (which I want) version?

There seems to be a 2010 version here:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/HowToForeFront.aspx#FCS64bit

mcewinter

Installing the service pack isn’t a bad idea. For what it’s worth, I’m running the same version with the service pack installed. I can only assume at least some of that list is included in the service pack.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.