What antivirus for WHS2011

Home Forums Home Theater Computers What antivirus for WHS2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Garcen
    Participant

MCEWinter asked this in the other post, but for the sake of random passer by’s that might have an answer…WHAT antivirus solution are you WHS2011 users utilizing?

I’ve tried MS Security Essentials but it wouldn’t install. Was thinking about ClamAV but wanted to see what else is out there.

mcewinter

Thanks for looking out Mike. I had a heck of a time setting up my WHS2011. I had to replace a power supply during the process but otherwise things went smooth but time consuming. Aside from my lack of caller ID, antivirus is my only hole left to fill. Now that I have some time (though not much) I can investigate AV software. I stuck with avast 4 in V1 and I’d like to stay with it if it is compatible with the OS. But that is hardly a recommendation as it’s not available anymore. I’ll be back with some findings or lack there of.

mikinho

ClamAV works but no real-time.  Symantec Endpoint Protection works but…its Symantec.  AVG is working on a version but they have gotten severly bloated.  Forefront works but not everyone has access to it.  I believe you can get MSE to install with an ORCA change.  I can verify later.

mcewinter

MSE would be ideal, I’m a little frustrated that it’s always been a grey area installing AV software on WHS. I guess the fact that it seems to be more of an enthusiast product nobody sees good reason to produce anything for it.

I’m going to post the question on the new GB site as well for good measure but it also seems that there but a few utilizing WHS2011.

mcewinter

I emailed Avast! To see if their WHS version works on WHS2011. The downlpad is an msi file so I’m led to believe that it is based on v1. Their old retail package for v4.8 included licenses for clients as well and the licenses could be rolled out to the clients via the control panel.

mcewinter

From avast!…

Unfortunately, the current avast! WHS Edition is NOT compatible with the WHS 2011.

There is a new version in the pipeline, but the release date is unknown.  The best estimate is about six months from now.”

PAPutzback

Can forefront be installed as a stand alone product or does it have to tie in with a server or active directory?

mikinho

It can be installed stand-alone.  Just use the /nomom switch when installing from an administrative command prompt. i.e. “clientsetup.exe /NOMOM

Also, with Forefront make sure to enable Microsoft Updates and not just Windows Updates to receive definition updates.

PAPutzback

Edit: I figured it out I needed the client CD. That update catalog is little hokey. After doing the install I had to download 900+ meg of updates

mcewinter

Apparently I have access to Forefront via technet.

Would any of yous recommend it? Mike, can you clarify your instuctions above or will it become obvious when I go to install it? Pardon my ignorance.

mikinho

I like Forefront, it is very similar to Microsoft Security Essentials (it shares the same code base…or at least did).

When you download Forefront there are a few options, you want Forefront Client Security.  On that ISO there is a CLIENT folder.  From an administrative command prompt go to the folder and run clientsetup.exe /nomom.  It doesn’t look to do anything but it is installing in the background.

mcewinter

[quote=mikinho]

It doesn’t look to do anything but it is installing in the background.

[/quote]

“Installation failed” per the text document in the Forefront folder (prgram files x86)

Mike Garcen

[quote=mcewinter][quote=mikinho]

[/quote] “Installation failed” per the text document in the Forefront folder (prgram files x86)[/quote]

It’s because you’re trying to install the x86 version on your WHS2011 (which is a 64-bit). If you go 1 more directory down, “x64” then run the same command, “clientsetup.exe /nomom” it should work

mcewinter

[quote=Mike Garcen]

[quote=mcewinter][quote=mikinho]

[/quote] “Installation failed” per the text document in the Forefront folder (prgram files x86)[/quote]

It’s because you’re trying to install the x86 version on your WHS2011 (which is a 64-bit). If you go 1 more directory down, “x64” then run the same command, “clientsetup.exe /nomom” it should work

[/quote]

Yep,that was it Embarassed.  I felt so naked without AV software.  I’m still going to keep avast! in mind simply for the advantage of a dashboard UI.  Meanwhile I’ll just have to log on to the server periodically.

Mike Garcen

so are you setting up a Quick Scan or Full Scan daily? I’m running a full scan right now, but setting it up for Quick daily…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.