Using openwith to play MKVs with TMT5

Home Forums Windows Media Center Using openwith to play MKVs with TMT5

• This topic has 17 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drewligarchy.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    NitDawg

[quote=mikinho]

Odd, it shouldn’t.  I’ll test tonight.  By chance when this happens are there SRT files in the same folder as the video file?

[/quote]

Some have SRT files in the same folder. Does this change the default action of open with…such as if the folder has .SRT then openwith…and since I did not configure a player for the MP4 extension then I get that message?

mikinho

Yes, I initially wrote OpenWith just for MKVs with subtitles and I think I left some bad logic in there.  I’ll fix it this weekend.

Drewligarchy

[quote=mikinho]

Yes, I initially wrote OpenWith just for MKVs with subtitles and I think I left some bad logic in there.  I’ll fix it this weekend.

[/quote]

[quote=mikinho]

[/quote]

Hi Mikinho –

Thank you for creating this utility, as I believe it’s the only program with the functionality I need to solve my media center problem. That being said, I too am having some problems getting it to work.

Based on your comment, I am assuming that there may be some issues using this for other file types – specifically .wtv – as this is a native WMC/WMP format. What I am trying to do is open .wtv files with MPC-HC, and run all other filetypes within windows media center.

The reason is that on my particular machine, I have done lots of troubleshooting, and it’s necessary to change renderers for .wtv vs. .mkv. For  .mkv I use EVR, but for .wtv files I need to revert to VMR7 – otherwise playback is incredibly choppy. I’ve tried a various assortment of decoders in combination with these renderers for .wtv files and this is consistent no matter which decoders are used. The renderer is obviously choosable in MPC-HC but not media center, and WMC always reverts to EVR no matter what I do merit wise (though even if I could change WMC to use VMR7 rather than EVR, it would not be ideal – as I would only like it to use VMR7 for .wtv files).

The particular maching I am running this on is an Asus ep121 slate, with an Intel core i5 processor and Intel HD graphics. This maching is running Windows 7 Ultimate 32. The .wtv files are recorded on my primary media center with a Hauppauge HD-PVR, incidentally.

Right now, I am not using WMC at all on my slate, but I’d like to – as it’s optimized for touch. Instead, I have assigned .wtv files to MPC-HC (using VMR7), and .mkv files to WMP – and need to navigate through windows explorer to open these. When opened, however, both file types play flawlessly.

Which brings me to my questions:

1) Is it possible to use OpenWith to launch MPC-HC for .wtv files in WMC? I have changed my registry settings to match your template exactly, while obviously change .mkv to .wtv, and using Windows 32 paths rather than x64 for MPC-HC.

2) A more elegant solution would be simply to get WMC to switch renderers for .wtv files (to VMR7), while reverting back to EVR for all other files. I was thinking I might be able to create a batch file to rename evr.dll when a .wtv is launched by using the batch file path as the external player in the OpenWith registry key – though my gut tells me this isn’t a good idea. Do you know of any other way to accomplish this?

3) launching MPC-HC has worked with Media Browser, and I also believe, based on my research, that it’s possible to employ the strategy described in (2). That being said, Media Browser is not optimized for touch, so it’s nearly impossible to control on my Asus ep121. This is why I’d really like to find a solution from within the native WMC interface.

Thanks in advance for your help! If you have any other suggestions regarding how to solve these issues, it’s greatly appreciated.

Best,

Andrew

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.