Undelete a recording?

Home Forums Windows Media Center Undelete a recording?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Is it possible to undelete a recording?

I just deleted a show, then realized I might want to keep it for archiving.

I looked in the Windows Recycle Bin and it isn’t there.  I checked my recycle bin settings and it’s set to use 51,200mb.

Is it gone, or just squirlled away in some other location?

Thanks.

Mike Garcen

gone gone gone i’m afraid, sorry

edit: maybe some data recovery software might be able to find it on your hard drive. 

mikinho

Like Mike said, it is gone.  WMC doesn’t use the Recycle Bin for deletions (most apps don’t).

You can try Recurva.  I’ve used it int he past with success for important documents I deleted.

oliverredfox

When a file is deleted from the computer is technically isn’t “deleted”.  The file is still on the hard drive but the pointer for it is removed.  Now at any point after the pointer is removed, any other file being saved can overwrite the old file information but until it has been overwritten, it can be recovered.  You can try something like http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/ to try and get back the information.  These programs work by scanning the whole drive and looking for files that don’t have pointer information.  Good luck.

theLuggage

Thanks for the answers everybody, even if it wasn’t what I wanted to hear.  Tongue Out

It’s not an important enough show that I want to attempt to retrieve it.

I’m just transitioning off a TiVo, and running into some differences.  The TiVo will allow you to undelete a show for some amount of time, depending on disc space.

This would be a nice feature to have in WMC.

mikinho

It has been requested a few times and the general conscience (right or wrong) is to not delete anything.  Let Media Center handle deleting recordings when space is tight and is needed.

I still delete items but generally only in bulk when I decide a series isn’t worth watching or a show I don’t want my kids to watch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.