Surge Protector for TV?

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help Surge Protector for TV?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    mikinho
    Participant

Bigee, if I remember correctly from an old post you work for APC.  For a plasma do you think the extra features of the AV line are worth it since no other equipment would be used?

Note: While I understand you can’t speak for your company if do you work for them, it does imply a certain higher knowledge base =)

Andrew Van Til
      Keymaster

Why wouldn’t you want to use a UPS with power conditioning features built in?

[quote=”Mikinho”]
        Bigee, if I remember correctly from an old post you work for APC.  For a plasma do you think the extra features of the AV line are worth it since no other equipment would be used?

Note: While I understand you can’t speak for your company if do you work for them, it does imply a certain higher knowledge base =)
        [/quote]

Yeah…  what he said.  😉  That’s the same question I would’ve asked.  Only the plasma TV will be plugged into whatever I choose, so I don’t need 12 outlets.  Are there valuable benefits to the unit you’re talking about, Bigee?

mikinho
        Participant

[quote=”babgvant”]
          [/quote]

For the same quality of power conditioning it seems like you pay a little over double, if not more.

Andrew Van Til
          Keymaster

Is there a way to quantify the quality of conditioning to compare a UPS with something that just does conditioning?

I ask because we have power outages occasionally so I use a UPS now, and I like the idea of having the battery to let the TV cool down properly if the power goes out.  But if it’s not as good as something different it would be worth trading out.

[quote=”babgvant”]
            [/quote]

For me, the first thing that comes to mind is that I don’t need a battery backup for the TV.  At 440W, it’s not going to stay on for very long, unless I get another $3-500 UPS.  🙂  I’m open to anything, though, as long as it’s around the same price and give the correct protection.

The biggest difference for A/V specific filters and regular surge protectors or UPS’s is the information the unit gives you (more than a surge) and, quite honestly, the case (could be put in an A/V setup and not be an ugly black bread box).  Also, you should be running your signal cables through some sort of surge protection as well. Electricity doesn’t care whether or not it’s a power cable or a coax, and it’ll find a way to keep travelling along a wire.  For this protection, the A/V specific unit passes the signal through with zero loss, as well as cleaning up any electromagnetic interference that may be messing with the signal.  Usually, regular UPS’s and surge protectors don’t have a coax protection port, and if they do, they don’t offer zero loss, or EM cleanup.
            As with anything, it really just depends on your tolerance for risk on your system.  I WILL tell you that if you don’t have something that has AVR on it, it will most certainly shorten the life of your receiver and your TV.

I just put in a APC Home Theater power conditioning unit. It’s cool, but probably overkill.

Anonymous

I have cyberpower AVR intelligent LCD series and it’s great. I have 1second power outages during storms.

I have 50″ plasma and home theater system as well as ps3 and other stuff plugged in. Under normal load I have 20 min on battery. It’s the 900 watt one

As much as I do agree that the AV units look better, I can’t justify the added expense just to plug a single TV into a device with 12 outlets.

mikinho
              Participant

Kind of my thought as well.  I’m in the middle of moving my entertainment console out of the living room and will most likely pick up a Line-R as it looks small enough that I can mount behind the TV along with the rest of the components.

Note: Ifwhen I purchase I’ll buy through a Missing Remote referral program  ;D

I just ordered the APC Line-R and will have it by Saturday (free 2 day shipping via Amazon Prime is pretty cool).

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.