Surge Protector for TV?

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help Surge Protector for TV?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

I just read a [url=http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1247118]3 page thread[/url] over on AVS and haven’t really come away with a conclusion.  So, I thought I’d bring it to the people I know (and trust?  😉 )…  you guys!

My plasma flickers when a small fridge in the room or the A/C unit (central air) kicks on.  We just had a severe thunderstorm roll by and I actually saw an image of SNOW on the screen for a second and multiple instances where the screen blanked or flickered.  So, now I’m thinking I need to do something to eliminate that in order to protect the TV.

Anyone have suggestions?  My TV is all by itself on a TV stand and the rest of the equipment is on the other side of the room in a media closet.

Thanks!

mikinho
    Participant

I’d suggest a home surge protector versus a UPS.  Once I installed my home surge protector I haven’t had any flicker on my lights, LCD HDTV, etc…

The actually install was extremely simple, less than 30 minutes.  If interested I’ll post the model I used.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
      I’d suggest a home surge protector versus a UPS.  Once I installed my home surge protector I haven’t had any flicker on my lights, LCD HDTV, etc…

The actually install was extremely simple, less than 30 minutes.  If interested I’ll post the model I used.
      [/quote]

I considered that, as well, but read mixed reports on them… just like surge protector research.  So, please do post the model.  My cousin’s an electrician, so I’d probably have him do it.

During my lengthy Googling, I kept reading that the whole home solution wasn’t suggested as the sole solution, meaning that you should still have surge protectors at the devices.  Even if it’s not necessary, <$100 is probably worth the peace of mind.

mikinho
      Participant

Absolutely, you’ll still want surge protectors at each device.

mikinho
        Participant

I installed the [url=http://www.smarthome.com/4860/Leviton-Whole-House-Surge-Suppressor-Surge-Protector-51120-1/p.aspx]Leviton Whole House Surge Suppressor Surge Protector 51120-1[/url].  I’ve been very happy with it.

I purchased a new town home in a “developing” area and have “dirty” power (spikes, surges, sags, and brownouts) coming in.  This was wrecking havoc with my home automation and lost at least 2-3 switches a month.  Since installing the Leviton I haven’t lost a device, well over a year now.

An added benefit is that when Gatinha is vacuuming the lights no longer dim if the washerdryer are running.

If your cousin is an electrician, you may want to consider having him run a separate circuit to its own breaker.  The reason you see all those anomalies is because compressors put a large strain when they first ramp up to speed (called inrush current).
          Also, if you look at a power conditioner (but they ain’t cheap) that should help alleviate any power issues dealing with dirty power.  APC (yay!), Monster, and Panamax are good brands to look at.

captain_video
          Participant

+1 for power conditioners.  APC makes a relatively inexpensive model for home theater gear (model H15).  It has surge protection, line filtering, and voltage regulation built-in.  I’ve had one in my system for well over a year now.  The thing is, I can’t comment on how well it works because if it’s working properly it’s essentially invisible.  You’ll only notice it if it doesn’t work.  So far it’s been completely unnoticeable.

I paid a little over $100 for mine with a special offer I found on one of the deal sites I monitor.  I actually bought two and never opened the box on the 2nd one (it was an impulse buy, what can I say).  If anyone’s interested I’ll let it go for what I paid for it ($100 plus about $15 shipping).  Drop me a line if you’re interested.

I don’t see how a surger protector would help with fluctuations, only large spikes.

I agree with Bigee, run a separate circuit and try to choose the leg of the panel with the least amount of high draw appliances. But you would still have to have a surge protector and a conditioner would be icing on the cake. I actually make occasional stops at the office supply stores and have found APC power backups dirt cheap on the clearance rack.  You can run the HTPC off the battery protected outlets and the tv off the surge only.

Alright, lots of excellent information here, but I’m getting confused.  Thanks, everyone, for jumping in!  Here’s what I’m gathering:

1.  I should definitely get a whole home surge suppressor.
            2.  Look into running a separate circuit for the TV.  Since I’m not an EE, can someone explain how this physically works?  What about the rest of the equipment, though?  Another separate circuit?  Keep in mind they’re on opposite sides of the room and the breakers are on the other side of the house.
            3.  Consider a power conditioner.

What’s confusing to me at the moment is what exactly each of these are going to do.  Based on what I’m hearing from everyone, they all seem to do pretty much the same thing, which begs the question, “Why do I need them all?”  I’m definitely ignorant when it comes to electrical things, so I’m eager to understand how each one is beneficial in a different way.

mikinho
            Participant

I would do #1 and #3 personally.  The dedicated line is nice but the whole home surge protector should accomplish the same thing and have extra benefits for other devices.

My ideal setup if I had the budget for it (I don’t) would be the Panamax [url=http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Components/M5400-PM.aspx]M5400-PM[/url] + [url=http://www.panamax.com/Products/In-Wall/MIW-POWERKIT-PRO.aspx]MIW-POWERKIT-PRO[/url] which is complete overkill but I like Panamax products.

I do have all of the equipment (except for the fridge) in the media closet on an APC SmartUPS battery backup (SUA1000, I believe).  I believe that has a built in power conditioner, so wouldn’t that negate the need for another one?

Assuming that’s correct, the question now seems to be, if I add the whole house protection, what do I need for just the TV?

mikinho
              Participant

A simple surge for the TV is enough but one with a line conditioner would be better.

Any suggestions on makes/models?  Something like [url=http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67]this[/url]?

mikinho
                Participant

The Line-R 1200VA would work very well and it is priced very reasonable.

Edit: Changed from 600VA unit to 1200VA but depending on your TV set the 600VA may be enough.  For the small price difference the 1200VA seems like the smarter purchase.

The SmartUPS has automatic voltage regulation, so it does negate the need for any further power conditioning for that equipment.
                  A surge protector usually does not provide any conditioning.  It may help remove ground loops, but that’s really it.  Consider a conditioner for the TV location.  The Line-R’s are good, but the AV line (the H15 model mentioned earlier) is specifically for AV gear.  I run an H10 on mine.  If you have a money tree in your back yard, you can get the Monster one.  🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.