Summer cleaning

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Summer cleaning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I had to replace my 3-color media center LED, so while I had the case opened up, I figured I would clean out the dust bunnies as well as move my external eSATA drive to inside my ITX build.

In a general sense, this points out poor planning during the initial build, mostly the short-comings of the initial revision of the Zotac 9300 ITX mobo. Granted, I’ve gotten a good 2 years from this build already, but the main deficiencies lie in no wake from S3 via USB and only 2 SATA ports. At the time of the build I had a BR drive and 1 TB Caviar blue drive.

A few months back, I tried out a SSD drive to increase the interface a bit (wow did that make a difference) and go up to 4 GB of RAM and the 64bit of Win7 (thought that may help with supporting 2 extenders). First problem was mounting the SSD drive. Not sure how much different in size and screw locations compared to a 2.5″ drive, but I did not have an easy way to mount that in my case. Also, with only 2 SATA ports, I was using the 1 eSATA port to then use a 2 TB Caviar Green drive for increased storage. Not terrible, but then I had an external drive (sort of defeats the purpose of a small form bulid).

So after getting my 3-color LED replaced and wired to the COM port I decided to bring my eSATA inside by passing back through the rear of the case and mounting my 2TB HDD via velcro strips to the floor of the case and the same approach to mount my SDD to the side of the drive cage.

From HTPC refresh

From HTPC refresh

From HTPC refresh

From HTPC refresh

After putting my 2250 tuner card back in and powering up, I was good to go, all without increasing the temps in my case at all.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience.

NitDawg

swoon

Velcro works great for SSDs. I’ve had mine mounted that way on the side of the case for months.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.