Storage WHS, Windows Server 08 or big drives for HTPC

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Storage WHS, Windows Server 08 or big drives for HTPC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PAPutzback
    Spectator

So the WHS issue is driving me nuts. Issue here: http://www.missingremote.com/forums/omg-network-timeout-issues-whs-are-driving-me-nuts

So I am debating whether I should just do a VAIL build. Maybe the drive pool is a bad idea if it is going to become a headache for the user and a bunch of MS scientists can’t even get it figured out. 

But then I am on the fence with how much power it uses when all I really use it for is media storage and giving me an interface to Wake a PC up and remote in. I tried the back up and restore and never had any luck with it working. 

So another option is to take my existing HTPC and put a dedicated drive in for recording TV and then maybe a pair of 2tb drives in for everything else. 

Ultimately I’d just like my existing setup to work as it has the past couple years but something is failing on the WHS.

I really don’t rip that much anymore with streaming and I have deleted a lot of movies that I know I’ll nenver watch again. So I am not worried about having space issues. 

I wonder if there is software for Windows 7 to give me a web interface to access the PC, GoToMy Pc perhaps.

phoneguyinpgh

Are you using any “Green” drives in your WHS?  I read they can cause issues.

PAPutzback

I believe I do have a green drive in there but the fact that this machine has worked flawlessly for a long time and there haven’t been any updates to the machine leads me to believe the drive is not the issue. And I have 4 to 5 drives in there. I might fire off the chkdsk scrip again and see if it completes this time through.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.