So my Harmony died today

Home Forums General Home Theater Discussion So my Harmony died today

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jennyfur
    Participant

[quote=”frijones”]
      Since you liked your 550 so much, why not just get another one.  Just got a deal from Newegg for a refurb 550.

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880111010&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081310&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081310-_-EMC-081310-Index-_-UniversalRemotes-_-80111010-L07D]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880111010&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081310&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081310-_-EMC-081310-Index-_-UniversalRemotes-_-80111010-L07D[/url]

It’s $49.99 shipped with this code: EMCYWZP53
      [/quote]
      Haha I was just coming here to post that! Slickdeal alert tipped me off. Problem is, that’s recertified. I’ve already had bad luck with a new one, I’m kinda hesitant to go refurb. I paid that much for it brand new a year and a half ago.

In the meantime, a friend is letting me borrow his xbox media remote that he never uses, so at least I don’t have to use a friggin’ gamepad to navigate everything anymore. I love how it has such soft, squishy buttons (the 4-way directional and OK button on the 550 were hard plastic buttons and really uncomfortable to use). Judging by the pictures of the 600/650, I think ALL the buttons are the rubbery squishy type thankfully. Still no response from Logitech though. I checked the best buy coupons and they’re good until the 16th so I’m gonna wait to hear from Logitech until the last possible minute.

jennyfur
      Participant

Hmm I take that back. Found a larger picture and the buttons all look like they’re plastic. Darn.

And to make matters more complicated, there’s a $10 rebate on the 650 at Amazon that’s only good until tomorrow. That would make it a couple bucks less than Best Buy.

[quote=”jennyfur”]
        In the meantime, a friend is letting me borrow his xbox media remote that he never uses, so at least I don’t have to use a friggin’ gamepad to navigate everything anymore.
        [/quote]

You know, the loss of the remote had never crossed my mind.  I have backups of just about everything and could get by with certain other things failing until a replacement came in.  But, the remote?  Yeah, that would be tough!  I guess I’d be stuck (re)learning the necessary shortcut keys.

A nice thing about the Harmony One is that your configuration is saved on-line.  So if your One dies and you replace it, you can just load your old configuration (channel logos and all) into the new remote.

jennyfur
        Participant

[quote=”phoneguyinpgh”]
          A nice thing about the Harmony One is that your configuration is saved on-line.  So if your One dies and you replace it, you can just load your old configuration (channel logos and all) into the new remote.
          [/quote]
          It’s the same way with all harmony remotes. I’ve already gone through 2 different models with the same saved configuration (a 670 and a 550) and intend to do the same with whatever new one I end up getting.

jennyfur
          Participant

So I got a response from Logitech. They suggest I try a firmware update. After updating the firmware, 2 of the 4 buttons started working again. The other two are doing something, just not what they’re assigned to (one makes media center respond with the error noise, the other made menus such as music page left). That’s better than not working at all like they had been. Maybe I can avoid buying a new remote with just a little rearranging of activities and custom buttons to the working side. Or maybe if I just keep updating the thing, it will eventually put the right configuration on those two remaining buttons. I’m so glad it’s not completely dead! Guess those Best Buy coupons won’t be needed.

Well, all you other Harmony owners now know to try updating the firmware when stuff stops working. In the Harmony software, go to downloads. There’s a firmware button there. You’ll have to update the remote again after that’s done. Possibly more than once.

I’ve updated 4 times now and although it seemed the other 2 buttons were finally working, the [i]remote is actually changing the commands they send at random[/i]. Wuuut?!?! One press and it was the xbox dashboard. Another press and it was the main DVD menu. Another and it was scrolling. Not acceptable. I guess those 2 buttons are done for good. But the other 2 still seem fine for now.

jennyfur
            Participant

Meh, ignore the firmware suggestion. It clearly hasn’t helped any. With more use, I’ve noticed that other buttons are responding randomly as well. No combination of updating for firmware changes have fixed it. I’m making a call and considering it D.O.A. now. Guess I’m back to considering the 650. However, now I’ve missed the deal on Amazon.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.