So my Harmony died today

Home Forums General Home Theater Discussion So my Harmony died today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jennyfur
    Participant

The buttons alongside the LCD on my Harmony 550 are no longer responding, so I can’t choose an activity, which means I pretty much can’t use the remote at all. I’ve had the remote since November 2008 so it’s out of warranty now. Guess I’m in the market for a new one then!

Looks like they don’t make that model anymore, the closest replacement is the 600 (or the color version, 650). Can’t find those on sale though and not really interested in spending that much since my setup is relatively simple and involves only 3 devices. I see that Logitech has a refurbished 610 on their site for $45, anybody have any opinions about that model? I hate the way it looks, and am not a fan of the peanut shape, but for around $50 (which is what I’d previously paid for my 550) I guess I could suck it up and deal. Anybody have any suggestions for a similar model at a similar price?

P.S. just my luck there was a 30% off coupon for logitech.com that worked until yesterday. Grrrrrr.

LowTech
      Participant

Have you looked at Universal remotes?  Newegg has the model RF20 for $55 plus free shipping.  I have an older MX350 which is similar and if nothing else it’s been reliable and it isn’t a battery hog.

The Universal may not be able to stand toe to toe with the Harmony but it might fit your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880120005

jennyfur
        Participant

Thanks. That looks interesting, although I’m a bit concerned setting it up judging by a lot of the comments. Sounds complicated. Especially since I have the rather odd TV watching need  of involving the xbox as an extender. And a learning function won’t help as I don’t own any sort of regular media center remote. Hmm.

Best Buy has the Harmony 650 for $80 right now. If only my rewardzone certificates hadn’t expired while I was on vacation last month, they would have made an OK enough deal to jump on. For now I’ll keep that Universal remote in mind until I see any other possible Harmony deals I suppose.

jennyfur
          Participant

It’s like Best Buy was listening to me or something, 10% off coupons showed up in the mail today. So think I’m gonna jump on that Harmony 650 sale even though it’s a bit more than I wanted to spend. The coupons are good starting the 13th, it’s gonna be a hard wait until then hehe!

I was really hoping somebody had some experience with any of the newer lower end Harmony’s though (300, 600, 650). I trust the brand though since I’ve already owned 2.

I love my Harmony One

Anonymous

My 880 died, I knew it was out of warranty but opened a trouble ticket anyway. They offered me a 50% off coupon on any remote (only good at the Logitech online store). Of course you can find better deals on line, though 50% off the Harmony One or 900 is still a pretty good deal.

PS. My gave out so I just mapped the as

jennyfur
              Participant

[quote=”bobc_jr”]
                My 880 died, I knew it was out of warranty but opened a trouble ticket anyway. They offered me a 50% off coupon on any remote (only good at the Logitech online store).
                [/quote]

I tried to open a ticket but when it got to the confirmation screen there was no ticket number (the spot where it should have been was blank) and I never got an email or anything. I think 50% off at logitech’s store might still be better than 10% off BB’s sale price on the 650. The Harmony One is just overkill for me, I only have 3 devices and that would cost as much as one of them. Especially considering this is an unplanned purchase I hadn’t saved up for.

Anonymous

Don’t forget to check the logitech scratch and dent store. they have a 610 (refurb) for 45.

I feel your pain about the ticket number…I forgot what I had to do to get it to show up, I think it was to actually launch the support link from the software, go through a bunch of trouble shooting screens…then it finally popped up. Anyway, good luck.

Do you have a link for the scratch and dent store?

Anonymous

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotional-items?

also keep an eye out on slickdeals or techbargains for additional coupons which surface now and then, seems like End of Month or so.

jennyfur
                    Participant

[quote=”bobc_jr”]they have a 610 (refurb) for 45.
                      [/quote]

That’s the refurb 610 I was talking about in the first post. Asked if anybody ever had any experience with that model. I’m not really feeling the peanut shape and button layout, was hoping maybe somebody had a compelling reason for me to reconsider. But judging by the responses, I guess not 😉

I’ve had a slickdeals alert set up since about 15 minutes after my remote broke haha. That’s how I knew about the 30% off coupon that had just expired the day before my remote broke.

If getting a support ticket # is that hard then maybe it’s not worth the trouble. But if I really can pull it off, that would put the 650 at exactly the same price I paid for my 550. I’ll give it one more try before giving up though. I did do it through the software the first time. Hmm.

jennyfur
                      Participant

Submitted again and this time it went through. Auto-reply states one business day for a response, so hopefully I should hear from them before the weekend when the Best Buy coupon is valid.

Anonymous

well, fingers crossed for you!

just came across this puppy on amazon…. Harmony 880 for 80$ retails 200$ according to amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O7I6VE?tag=techbargainscom

Since you liked your 550 so much, why not just get another one.  Just got a deal from Newegg for a refurb 550.

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880111010&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081310&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081310-_-EMC-081310-Index-_-UniversalRemotes-_-80111010-L07D]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880111010&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081310&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081310-_-EMC-081310-Index-_-UniversalRemotes-_-80111010-L07D[/url]

It’s $49.99 shipped with this code: EMCYWZP53

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.