Review: Panasonic TC-P58VT25

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Review: Panasonic TC-P58VT25

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5223&Itemid=236]Original Article Link[/url]

I had a P58VT25, but I returned it.  I could not stand the buzzing.  I know that plasmas buzz, and maybe I got one that was worse, but it was very noticeable in bright scenes from 10′ away.  Also, the dirty whites, and specifically the way the set dims the screen considerably when most of the screen is bright, bothers me.  I know that this is a protection feature so as to not burn out the phosphors (or something like that) but it bugged me.

I also tried one of the new Sony 60″ 3D LCDs.  It was a very slick TV, but the off-axis was SO BAD that sitting at the other end of the couch resulted in a noticeable drop off in contrast performance.  Also, backlight uniformity was bad, with some flashlighting in the corners, and a couple blobs of brighter spots that were very noticeable in dark scenes.  Ughh!  Returned the Sony Too. 

I am a tough customer, but damn, it seems I just don’t like any of the current TV technology.  I will be stuck with my 56″ DLP until it dies.  (Yes, I realize that the problem is more me than the TVs ;D)

Andrew Van Til
    Keymaster

The buzz is annoying (mine only buzzes noticeably for really bright content), but if you can hear it from 10′ when sound is playing something is wrong with the set.

Wow. I should say that you are indeed a tough critic. I was more happy with the off axis viewing of any LCD by comparison to my old SXRD or any DLP I had encountered.

Many of the new edge-lit LED TV’s do have issue from edges IMHO. But at the same time the panel lit have their own inconsistancies.

I am happy with my 55″ Samsung LCD thus far, if I could only reduce the glare a bit more.

[quote=”Mast3rL33″]
      Wow. I should say that you are indeed a tough critic. I was more happy with the off axis viewing of any LCD by comparison to my old SXRD or any DLP I had encountered.

Many of the new edge-lit LED TV’s do have issue from edges IMHO. But at the same time the panel lit have their own inconsistancies.

I am happy with my 55″ Samsung LCD thus far, if I could only reduce the glare a bit more.
      [/quote]

Yes, some call me insane, so “tough critic” is not that bad.  😀

I have a first gen Samsung DLP LED lit.  Although the picture gets a little dimmer as you move off axis, it is not like that Sony LCD, where the actual performance of the contrast changes, at least not to my eye.  Dimmer I can deal with, poorer quality = yuk.  I think the Sammy LCDs are better than the Sonys as far as off axis, at least from what I could tell in the store.

[quote=”babgvant”]
      The buzz is annoying (mine only buzzes noticeably for really bright content), but if you can hear it from 10′ when sound is playing something is wrong with the set.
      [/quote]

I couldn’t hear it when there was sound playing, but I am a psycho, and couldn’t help but listen for it, and there are a LOT of quiet moments in which I could hear it.

I had ALMOST had ABT replace it, but they had already replaced the Sony with the Panny, and I didn’t want them to open yet another TV and cost them more money if I didn’t like it.  They have been very cool, and I didn’t want to take advantage of their good service.  I am pickier than most, but not in a sane way, so I struggle in life, and TV purchases. :'(

Andrew Van Til
      Keymaster

Abt has great customer service, it’s the main reason I opted to pay a little more for the set than I could have going online.

I have some very minor buzzing from my Panasonic 65″ V10 plasma.  But, I also have a small fan running in my entertainment system that maskes the buzz.  These sounds are VERY faint and I only notice them if I strain to find them.  Buzzing is a big problem on some plasmas, but if it is not noticable in normal viewing then i would tend to ignore it. 

You’ll find problems with all sets if you go looking for them.  Plasma seems like it is the best fit for  you.  I can’t imagine that you are very happy with the picture from a LED DLP.  I found their picture to have a big bright spot in the middle, very poor off angle viewing (from relatively minor angles it got bad), and an abundance of the silk screen effect.  My Plasma is worlds better than any of my two rear projectors.

[quote=”babgvant”]
        Abt has great customer service, it’s the main reason I opted to pay a little more for the set than I could have going online.
        [/quote]

I agree 100%.  Unfortunately, I have returned several TVs to them over the years, to the point that, after this last return cycle (Sony and Panny), that I am almost embarrassed to order from them again.  They might not even want my business, and I wouldn’t blame them. ;D

[quote=”autoboy”]
        You’ll find problems with all sets if you go looking for them.  Plasma seems like it is the best fit for  you.  I can’t imagine that you are very happy with the picture from a LED DLP.  I found their picture to have a big bright spot in the middle, very poor off angle viewing (from relatively minor angles it got bad), and an abundance of the silk screen effect.  My Plasma is worlds better than any of my two rear projectors.
        [/quote]

It would seem that Plasma would be the best fit for me, but I didn’t like it, mostly because of the buzz. 

What bothers me most about TVs is when the dynamically change anything about the picture.  On LCDs, I hate the “Dynamic Contrast” that is required for fake, good blacks (and also the off-axis problems).  On plasmas, I am sensitive to the buzzing, and I hate the automatically decreased output on bright scenes.  As a hockey fan, the ice gets dimmer the more there is of it on screen on plasma, which I see as it happens, and that annoys me! 

It is likely that I am just used to it, but the Sammy LED DLP I have does not have any Silk Screen effect at all (I know what you are talking about, and it was horrible on most of the DLPs), and the dynamic contrast can be turned off.  There is a little off-axis issues, but not nearly as bad as that Sony LCD, but it is more about decreased light output when off-axis than a change in the contrast, like the sony.  The DLP does not have the detail that a modern LCD or plasma does, but it produces a very pleasing, [b]stable[/b] picture.  Keep in mind that the DLP that I have is the HLS5679, which was their first gen [b]LED[/b] DLP, and it is by far the best (IMHO) DLP they produced.  For some reason, their next (and last) generation of DLPs took a step backwards in terms of detail and build quality ($$).  It does have geometry problems, and the power supply fails on ALL of them after a couple years, but I do love that tv…..

Sorry for the digression!

Mike Garcen
        Participant

Hrmm….i had read about this buzz issue, but i haven’t noticed it on my TC-P50S2…is it something that happens over time? I’ll admit my apartment is not the quietest room in the world

[quote=”shadymg”]
          Hrmm….i had read about this buzz issue, but i haven’t noticed it on my TC-P50S2…is it something that happens over time? I’ll admit my apartment is not the quietest room in the world
          [/quote]

I think it has something to do with the way the power supplies are designed for Plasma TVs, since all brands of plasma supposedly do it to some extent.  I don’t think it gets louder over time, so if you don’t notice it now, you should be good.

Mike, my Samsung C8000 buzzes and your S2 probably does as well. It is typical for plasmas to one degree or another. On my display, I really have to be listening for it to hear it and be closer to the display than my normal viewing distance. It is actually most noticeable with a mostly dark screen and high contrast stuff like when there is no input to the display and the “No input” dialog is displayed.

I think that if I hadn’t read extensively about plasma buzzing, this is likely something I never would have given thought to or really noticed. Ignorance is bliss… Although, the characteristics that I have observed with my display do not detract at all from my enjoyment of normal content viewing.

It is also true that the ambient noise level in the room will likely affect the perception of the buzz. I should get my SPL meter out and try to measure it.

Andrew, does the VT25 support DLNA, PlayTo and media files via USB?

Last night, I was copying some files over my home network and I noticed my C8000 showing up as an available network device in Win7. I “installed” the device in Win7 and then tried out PlayTo. It worked brilliantly and I may actually use it from time to time.

Andrew Van Til
          Keymaster

[quote=”swoon”]
            does the VT25 support DLNA, PlayTo and media files via USB?
            [/quote]

AFAIK it does not support DLNA but does support playback from USB and SD card.

mikinho
            Participant

Interesting, it is listed as being DLNA certified, which doesn’t actually mean much, but only from unofficial sources (i.e. [url=http://www.dexid.org/wiki/Panasonic_TCP58VT25]http://www.dexid.org/wiki/Panasonic_TCP58VT25[/url]).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.