Review: Moneual MonCaso 320

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Review: Moneual MonCaso 320

• This topic has 42 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by tawd1992.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    babgvant

[quote=nilsga]

There are no updates to the driver. Do I have to install the M.Play software or other drivers from the Moneual CD? I also notice that the display actually always start at 00.00/50.00, but once it starts counting, both are reset to 00.00/00.00

[/quote]

No, you shouldn’t install M.Play. 

babgvant

It’s not uncommon for MSAS to be broken by default, especially if you’ve installed a sink and then it uninstalls improperly.

I can take a look to see if I can reproduce the issue, but I think it’s unlikely that the problem is with the writer.

nilsga

If it is MSAS that is the problem, how do I find out, and how can I solve it?

babgvant

[quote=nilsga]

If it is MSAS that is the problem, how do I find out, and how can I solve it?

[/quote]

Use the nodisplay.filewriter to see what you’re getting from MC.

nilsga

Where does the output go to? I just get an error on startup when the NoDisplay.FilBased writer is selected.

Do I need to install any drivers besides LCDWriter? As mentioned, it’s a clean Win7 x64 install, and I have not installed any drivers besides chipset drivers for the motherboard.

nilsga

Playing DVDs show progress and duration, as expected. So, assuming it is MSAS that is the culprit, how can I fix it?

SJMaye

I am curious to hear your comments on HTPC case displays such as this one. 

On my first HTPC I was convinced i wanted a big display so I bought the OrigenAE S21t.  After a few years I realize I never use it.  On my second build I opted for a VFD similar to the one in this thread.  Since I could not read it at any distance it was still sort of useless.

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on where they can be helpful to you?

babgvant

[quote=nilsga]

Where does the output go to? I just get an error on startup when the NoDisplay.FilBased writer is selected.

Do I need to install any drivers besides LCDWriter? As mentioned, it’s a clean Win7 x64 install, and I have not installed any drivers besides chipset drivers for the motherboard.

[/quote]

Good point.  It will output where ever the exe is located, so you’d probably have to add your user account to the install folder w/ modify rights.  The display uses FTDI drivers to emulate a serial port, they should get pulled down from Windows Update but you may find more recent one on FTDI’s website.

babgvant

[quote=nilsga]

Playing DVDs show progress and duration, as expected. So, assuming it is MSAS that is the culprit, how can I fix it?

[/quote]

The only way I’ve been able to “fix” it is to reinstall.

I tested it here w/ TV last night and it does push the right values so I’m not sure there’s anything else I can do.

babgvant

[quote=SJMaye]

I am curious to hear your comments on HTPC case displays such as this one. 

On my first HTPC I was convinced i wanted a big display so I bought the OrigenAE S21t.  After a few years I realize I never use it.  On my second build I opted for a VFD similar to the one in this thread.  Since I could not read it at any distance it was still sort of useless.

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on where they can be helpful to you?

[/quote]

There are a couple places where I think a VFD adds significant value, and a few where it just a nice to have.

1) Recording status – this is my favorite one, I know at-a-glance why it’s not in standby.

2) CE polish – makes the HTPC look more like a CE device (BD, STB, etc). Very few CE devices have now status information available.

3) Adds a clock

4) I know w/o showing the scrub bar where my kids are at in a show so I know whether to postpone dinner for 2 min while they finish up or make them pickup where they left off later.

There are more use cases, but the gist is the same.  A VFD adds polish and provides non-obvious information w/o having to interact with the PC.

nilsga

Ok, I have re-installed Win7 several times, always with the same result, so I assume that there must be something wrong in my end… A long shot, but maybe I should try installing the English version of Win7 instead of the Norwegian…

babgvant

[quote=nilsga]

Ok, I have re-installed Win7 several times, always with the same result, so I assume that there must be something wrong in my end… A long shot, but maybe I should try installing the English version of Win7 instead of the Norwegian…

[/quote]

Hmm Norwegian… Why don’t you try the filebased writer first.  It’s possible that there is a localization issue on my end.

nilsga

I’ve been trying, but just get an error message at startup when using the filebased writer. Don’t remember exactly, but something like “the target could not initiate….something….”.

I’ll try to re-install the English version tonight to see if that helps.

SJMaye

[quote=babgvant]A VFD adds polish and provides non-obvious information w/o having to interact with the PC.[/quote]

I agree.  A blank box really does nothing for me either.

babgvant

[quote=nilsga]

I’ve been trying, but just get an error message at startup when using the filebased writer. Don’t remember exactly, but something like “the target could not initiate….something….”.

I’ll try to re-install the English version tonight to see if that helps.

[/quote]

Even after giving your user account modify (or full) permission to the install folder?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.