QUICK! Anything wrong with my 1st HTPC build?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers QUICK! Anything wrong with my 1st HTPC build?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I’m ordering this in just a few hours. Please critique!

Experience: I’ve built 1 desktop PC (1-2 yrs ago).

My current use cases are:

• record shows off my nearly full FiOS DVR and digitize old homemade movies from VHS (via PVR)
    • be my BluRay player (3D via the HDD)
    • upscale SD DVDs (is this done automatically?) 
    • play downloaded/digi-copied/digitize/ripped media (some on this HDD now; all over a NAS later)
    • Netflix, YouTube, and all that 
    • open to recommendations about transcoding and/or cutting commercials in this box vs. a media server/NAS 
    • will likely run 24/7, at least to record 
    • no gaming, Wii is fine

… and later:

• be my DVR, incl pause/playback live TV (and trade out the FiOS STB) 
    • support a future surround sound system (AVR + 5.1 speakers … open to suggestions there, too) 
    • might, just might, become the source box to DVR shows to watch them nearly live upstairs (but no TV there yet, so that’s even further off)

Existing h/w:

Spec’d:

So what am I missing? And what could be cut back, without sacrificing a use case, to save more $$?

And if you really want a challenge, how much would a conventional setup cost (e.g., a “real” component BluRay, no PC) that could do what the above HTPC could? Thanks! – Spiff

swoon
      • If the Colossus is only a temporary item in your HTPC, you could still get the ML03 it seems and use an extension cable since the chassis has a full-size slot. Just double check the dimensions.
      • You could save a few bucks and get the i3-2100 instead of 2100T. You shouldn’t have many concerns with cooling and it should still be very efficient with power in real-world use.
      • Chosen memory will be just fine
      • Looks like the Lite-on drive will come with OEM PDVD software. I’m sure it will not support 3D BD playback. You could go with PDVD 11 (review) and CyberLink will probably sell it to you at some reduced upgrade price. You could also go with ArcSoft TMT5 (review) or Corel WinDVD even. My personal preference is TMT5. Each vendor gives a trial copy so you can give them a try yourself before spending the cash.
      • I think something like this remote might suit you much better. The one you linked doesn’t seem like the typical ehome remote

While you could probably get away with the single hard drive, I do not recommend it. You will be much better off with a second hard drive to house the operating system separate from the recording drive, especially since your current drive is a Green drive. If you could swing the extra money for an SSD to store the OS, that would be ideal (though it is totally not required and is a luxury item).

In a PC, everything is scaled to the output resolution.

You don’t have to run the box 24/7. It can go to standby when not in use and will wake automatically when it is time to record.

SpacemanSpiff2000

[quote=swoon]

• If the Colossus is only a temporary item in your HTPC, you could still get the ML03 it seems and use an extension cable since the chassis has a full-size slot. Just double check the dimensions.
        • You could save a few bucks and get the i3-2100 instead of 2100T. You shouldn’t have many concerns with cooling and it should still be very efficient with power in real-world use.
        • Looks like the Lite-on drive will come with OEM PDVD software. I’m sure it will not support 3D BD playback. You could go with PDVD 11 (review) and CyberLink will probably sell it to you at some reduced upgrade price. You could also go with ArcSoft TMT5 (review) or Corel WinDVD even. My personal preference is TMT5. Each vendor gives a trial copy so you can give them a try yourself before spending the cash.
        • I think something like this remote might suit you much better. The one you linked doesn’t seem like the typical ehome remote

While you could probably get away with the single hard drive, I do not recommend it. You will be much better off with a second hard drive to house the operating system separate from the recording drive, especially since your current drive is a Green drive. If you could swing the extra money for an SSD to store the OS, that would be ideal (though it is totally not required and is a luxury item).

You don’t have to run the box 24/7. It can go to standby when not in use and will wake automatically when it is time to record.

[/quote]

Still can’t kill the full quotes.

Well, I could not pull off an order by noon ET today, so my target is now tonight.

[quote=swoon]

[/quote]

I may still go with the bigger case for roominess/airflow, but it’s good to know this slimmer case might still work. However, with the 03, I thought it ALL had to be low profile, plus I don’t get how this extension would figure in. I read this case has a “utility” slot that implies non-low-profile, but I can’t see that from the case pics. Also, I haven’t been able to find specific card dimensions from Hauppauge. What am I missing?

[quote=swoon]

[/quote]

This was the key question that stopped me today. Is there knowledge out there regarding:

• what is the real energy cost savings between these two?
        • what can a 2100 do in an HTPC that a 2100T would not be able to do?

Also, was just thinking, what if may I, occasionally, want to play CIV5 on the big screen. This wasn’t an original intention, but would this CPU/GPU do it?

[quote=swoon]

[/quote]

Thanks! I’ll have to look into these then … or perhaps another drive with a better software offer?
        [quote=swoon]

[/quote]

Oops, this is the link from TMT5 so I don’t know what you mean. I’m also puzzled b/c my spec looked like an authentic MC remote to me.

[quote=swoon]

[/quote]

Why esp. b/c it’s Green? That matters b/c my other available drive is the exact same kind … so I can do 2 of the same WD green drive right now. Will think about the SSD expense also … but how can it be ideal and unnecessary? What would I have to put up with without one?

[quote=swoon]

[/quote]

I thought I’d heard/read that. Thanks for the confirmation!

And I think “case fans” was the only other question. Never had to do aftermarket ones (or really even manage the fans I run now).

I can fudge everything else (go with the big case, hold off on a remote, use 2 green drives) but if someone only has time to answer only one topic, I need the CPU questions answered the most (and the soonest). Thanks!

:^{D

skirge01

[quote=SpacemanSpiff2000]

Still can’t kill the full quotes.

[/quote]

Fixed for ya.  😉  And, Mikinho is working on a permanent fix.

swoon

I may still go with the bigger case for roominess/airflow, but it’s good to know this slimmer case might still work. However, with the 03, I thought it ALL had to be low profile, plus I don’t get how this extension would figure in. I read this case has a “utility” slot that implies non-low-profile, but I can’t see that from the case pics. Also, I haven’t been able to find specific card dimensions from Hauppauge. What am I missing?

[/quote]

Check out our Hauppauge review I linked before. Dimensions are listed.

This was the key question that stopped me today. Is there knowledge out there regarding:

• what is the real energy cost savings between these two?
            • what can a 2100 do in an HTPC that a 2100T would not be able to do?

Also, was just thinking, what if may I, occasionally, want to play CIV5 on the big screen. This wasn’t an original intention, but would this CPU/GPU do it?

[/quote]

You’re most likely looking at about 5 watts or so additional consumption from a 2100 vs. 2100T, but you also gain additional clock speed.

2100T will still be very capable. If you’re planning gaming, commercial skip analysis or other tasks that could be CPU intensive, a faster CPU may be useful.

CIV5 will require a better GPU than the i3 IPG. If you think you’ll be doing 3D gaming like this, keep your options open with your chassis and get the GD05 so you can place a full-height GPU in later on. 

Thanks! I’ll have to look into these then … or perhaps another drive with a better software offer?

[/quote]

Drives that have software are all OEM versions, at least those that I have seen.

Oops, this is the link from TMT5 so I don’t know what you mean. I’m also puzzled b/c my spec looked like an authentic MC remote to me.

[/quote]

Sorry, meant to link to this remote.

Why esp. b/c it’s Green? That matters b/c my other available drive is the exact same kind … so I can do 2 of the same WD green drive right now. Will think about the SSD expense also … but how can it be ideal and unnecessary? What would I have to put up with without one?

[/quote]

Sharing OS and recording on the same drive, esp. a slower Green drive can be troublesome and cause recording glitches in some cases depending on how much activity there is on the drive.

An SSD is a luxury because it makes the OS, loading the guide, movie library databases, etc. load much faster. Overall, the system will seem more responsive. There are also no mechanical platters to fail and SSDs are quiet. It’s not a requirement, however.

And I think “case fans” was the only other question. Never had to do aftermarket ones (or really even manage the fans I run now).

[/quote]

With the system you’re looking at in a GD05, there should be plenty of cooling already.

SpacemanSpiff2000

About the Bluray player software (even though I have maybe 3 waiting Bluray discs and the rest or DVD for now): I don’t suppose there’s a decent freeware option, since I haven’t seen it mentioned? (vs. adding $100 to the total cost)

swoon

Why don’t you try the OEM software that comes with the drive and then you can also try out both TMT5 and PDVD 11 trials? I think each trial is 30 days or so. You can then decide from there.

Ganjagadget

I would research your prices instead of trusting newegg to have the best deals. Check out http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/computer/ to save some $$$ and buy a SSD.

SpacemanSpiff2000

Shoot … I ordered ~30min before you sent. Darn it all to heck.

Oh, I did my pricing research (Amazon and anything else Invisible Hand uses) but Amazon was the same and the rest were more … I got 2 pieces from Amazon due to shipping.

However, I only knew I’d ever casually heard of FatWallet after you said it. Plus, I’d never seen an endorsement for them, so trust would have been an issue had I remembered them.  But I’ll take this as an endorsement to trust them now.  Thanks! – Spiff :^{D

swoon

Don’t worry about it, you still got good pricing. To get anything much better, you likely would have had to buy pieces when on special sales over time. We keep an eye on special deals and post them here in our Hot Deals forum. The nice thing about that is that the deals are curated so you only see items related to Home Theater and HTPC-related stuff. If you find anything, feel free to post it. Others will appreciate it.

Also, if you ever want to help out Missing Remote, you can use any of the Newegg, Amazon or other links and the site gets a small percentage of the sale. The money is used to help pay for the expenses of running the site.

SpacemanSpiff2000

Thumbs-up on the click-thru. Had I known/thought about it, I would have done it. I’d be very happy to help you guys out b/c y’all helped me out so much here and on understanding this branch of tech (better than anywhere else … I have you props elsewhere). Also, I never would have considered an Intel mobo before … but reading here tells me I may have saved myself some trouble.

To polish this off, here’s what the final order ended up being:

case: SILVERSTONE Grandia GD05B micro-ATX
                        CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
                        mobo: Intel BOXDH67GDB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67
                        LAN: Rosewill RNX-N180PCe PCI Express Revision 1.1 Wireless Adapter
                        RAM: G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
                        PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D
                        OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit [ not $80 🙁 ]
                        $485 shipped from Newegg (before $75 Christmas gift card … thanks, Dad!)

Bluray: Lite-On 4X SATA Blu-ray ROM Drive IHOS104-06
                        capture: Hauppauge Colossus PCI Express Internal HD-PVR 01414
                        $192 shipped (free) from Amazon

Have 2x HDD: Western Digital 1TB EADS (originally from my WD NAS before upgrading) – $0

Total: $677 pending remote choice/s (we all want universal/fewest remotes), Bluray s/w, and future Ceton still pending decisions.  Now it’s a race to Maryland. Newegg 3-day looks like it may get here tomorrow. Amazon supersaver ship MIGHT even get here Saturday (but I can start without those parts).

Plan is to see how all this works before considering an upgrade to SSD or a video card, etc. I’ve read somewhere how to partition the OS drive to get the quickest possible response. Since this is my first time w/ Win7 or MCE, I don’t mind having to reinstall later b/c I usually screw up something the first time anyway.

Thanks again for all of your QUICK and thorough assistance! :^{D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.