Primary HTPC Software Results and New Poll!

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Primary HTPC Software Results and New Poll!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

[quote=”Meester.Rip”]
    There are news readers and there are forum posters. I tend to come most for answers to my issues and see what other issue people are running into.[/quote]

Understandable.  We’ll need to get some more compelling content to draw you in then.  😉  That’s why I was asking, so thank you for indulging me!

[quote]I check the home page every couple days but was the post only on the side or was it listed as news in addition to being on the side. I don’t pay much attention to the side bar.[/quote]

It was only posted on the side.  Personally, I wanted something posted on the front page as well, but it wasn’t my poll.  ;D  Then again, if you don’t visit the home page very often, that might not have changed anything.  😛  j/k

[quote]And I did find the Newegg ad but it is kind of buried. I’d suggest a link up top to take us to a page listing all the vendors.[/quote]

I brought that up once, too.  I think Mike once said that he didn’t want to be pushing those links too hard.

[quote]As far as news items and polls how hard would it be to get a daily dump of links in an email. And/or is there an RSS feed? I have Dailytech’s feed setup in outlook so I can see new items as they come in.
    [/quote]

I don’t think there’s currently a way for a daily email, other than the thread subscription option.  However, I get the RSS feeds on my phone.

Front page news RSS feed:  http://www.missingremote.com/index2.php?option=com_rss&feed=RSS2.0&no_html=1
    Forums posts RSS feed:  http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=198&type=rss;action=.xml

[quote=”SikSlayer”]
    I came back to this thread after how many hours its been since I posted, and so its been on my mind what I said, and just I want to say I don’t think the poll was biased in any way, or was it intended to get a certain outcome. All I’m saying is that a good number of Sage users come to this site, as its one of the few that I know of that continually posts Sage-related news.

On the contrary, if this poll was on Engadget, it’d be much different. I’d say XBMC/Plex/Boxee would do much better, probably than 7MC.

In all, I think I could have used better words to get across my meaning. I’m not trying to imply any intended bias.
    [/quote]

No, no, that’s not what I was getting at. I didn’t think you were trying to imply that we were biased. I just found it interesting because we don’t often get folks commenting on what the site/community feel is overall.

[quote=”shadymg”]
    blame Mikinho for it only running 1 week, he couldn’t wait to get the Blu-ray survey out there!!! 😀
    [/quote]

Actually, I now realize that I’ve never seen any polls because they aren’t featured front and center.

Mike Garcen
    Participant

yeah, i know they somewhat blend into the sidebar unfortunately. hence why i post a quick blog/front story post to let people know about it. didn’t think to make sure it was commented in the forums for our forum-only folks

I read the front page AND the forums, but I don’t look in the sidebar of most websites because I filter it out, expecting to see ads. 

Ok, so I’ve done a bit of research on the sidebar and realized why I don’t notice it at all.  It is the width of a standard banner advertisement, so my eye filters it out.  If you look at Anandtech’s site, their sidebar is much larger and the title text is the same size and format as on the main section of the webpage.  I use Anandtech’s sidebar all the time to look at dailytech content.

If you look at Gizmodo, their side bar (opposite side) actually features banner ads, which is why I’ve never actually clicked on any of the content in that sidebar.

Engadget is in between Anandtech and Gizmodo.  While Engadget features ads in their sidebar, they are not the long banner type, and there is enough space to make the text for the title large enough to draw the eye. 

On missingremote, I never see any of the content in the right sidebar and I’ve been here for awhile.  I knew it was there because you guys have pointed it out before, I just never looked at it unless I had to.

Doesn’t the site get kickbacks from click through ads?

Thanks for the RSS links, they work perfect in outlook.

Mike Garcen
      Participant

[quote=”Meester.Rip”]
        Doesn’t the site get kickbacks from click through ads?
        [/quote]

a little 🙂

jennyfur
        Participant

[quote=”Skirge01″]
          It was only up for a week.  I think the results may have gone more toward MC if it had been up for a month or so.  I voted in the new poll already, too.
          [/quote]
          Yep, I had a busy week and just perused threads. Totally didn’t see it. Voted in the new poll as soon as I saw this article/thread.

Is it ever too late?  7MC user here. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.