Primary HTPC Software Results and New Poll!

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Primary HTPC Software Results and New Poll!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5198&Itemid=231]Original Article Link[/url]

I’m not too surprised by the results, I would expect w7 media center to be on top since the ceton tuners have been released.  But I guess everyone isnt switching to those considering the price.

I think lack of availability of the CETON tuners is an issue also. I never saw the poll, put me down for Win7.

Anonymous

About that new Blu-ray poll…. many of the SageTV users simply use SageTV for Blu-ray playback since it works without separate playback software (AnyDVD or similar required for most).  I personally either rip my Blu-ray disk and play the movie back on my HD300 extender or if I rent a Blu-ray I’ll sometimes drop it in my HTPC server’s Blu-ray drive and stream it to the extenders that way.

Same here…  MKVs via SageTV.

This doesn’t surprise me either but can go either way. I keep going back and forth, but I think MC7 usability is superior, however it lacks the component feel that the Sage HD extenders give. This can go either way for a while. The availability of the ceton/cable cards solutions will give MC7 a boost, however if SageTV ends up giving cable card as an option, then advantage SageTV.. Another thing that could come into play is if someone develops an extender similar to the SageHD extenders for MC7.. I believe that would give MC7 a huge boost. Most disappointing is Beyond TV and in my opinion, complete lack of development on the consumer line who helped get them going. I still have licenses unused… For Blu-ray playback, I’ll have try the streaming to the extender on SageTV.. Right now I have a component LG Blu-ray player and when comparing it picture to picture, it was superior using the TMT3 with an ATI 4850 HDMI video card. The Sage HD extender’s picture however is awesome.

This is a Sage-centric site in many ways, and I think that the poll would have turned out differently on another site.

I’m intrigued by the fact that you consider us Sage centric. At least half if not more of the editors (including the boss) are on W7.

jennyfur
      Participant

[quote=”SikSlayer”]
        This is a Sage-centric site in many ways, and I think that the poll would have turned out differently on another site.
        [/quote]

I didn’t even know about the poll so didn’t get to vote. I use 7MC.

With 400 votes we probably have a better representation of the HTPC community than most “official” newspaper polling of the general public. Who wants to do the math on the +/- %.

Mike Garcen
        Participant

[quote=”SikSlayer”]
          [/quote]

Hrm….I run the site, and with 3 Microsoft MVPs on staff…i woulda disagreed before the poll 🙂 Now not sure i can. That’s the beauty about polls, they’re so quick and painless, you learn awesome things about everyone involved.

Anonymous

[quote=”SikSlayer”]
            [/quote]

I’ve lurked here for several years …. I AM a Sage fanboy, but I certainty never would view this as a “Sage-certric site”. I think if offers a well balanced view of the HTPC hobby.

I came back to this thread after how many hours its been since I posted, and so its been on my mind what I said, and just I want to say I don’t think the poll was biased in any way, or was it intended to get a certain outcome. All I’m saying is that a good number of Sage users come to this site, as its one of the few that I know of that continually posts Sage-related news.

On the contrary, if this poll was on Engadget, it’d be much different. I’d say XBMC/Plex/Boxee would do much better, probably than 7MC.

In all, I think I could have used better words to get across my meaning. I’m not trying to imply any intended bias.

Mike Garcen
            Participant

lol, no worries Sik!

btw…anyone else amused that 2 of our most avid forum members, Meester and Jennyfur both missed the poll?!?!

okok, so no excuses…everyone knows there’s a new Blu-ray poll on the homepage now, right? 🙂

[quote=”SikSlayer”]
              I came back to this thread after how many hours its been since I posted, and so its been on my mind what I said, and just I want to say I don’t think the poll was biased in any way, or was it intended to get a certain outcome. All I’m saying is that a good number of Sage users come to this site, as its one of the few that I know of that continually posts Sage-related news.

On the contrary, if this poll was on Engadget, it’d be much different. I’d say XBMC/Plex/Boxee would do much better, probably than 7MC.

In all, I think I could have used better words to get across my meaning. I’m not trying to imply any intended bias.
              [/quote]

LOL!  No harm done by your previous wording (which I still have on my phone’s RSS feed), at least not in my mind.  I was planning to respond with the fact that I actually think this site is more heavily trafficked and populated for MC users, which is why the poll results surprised me.  As a SageTV user, I generally feel in the minority around here.  I definitely didn’t think you were saying anything about bias, either.  That said, it’s nice to see someone consider that something they wrote MIGHT have been misconstrued and try to correct it ahead of time.

Oh yeah… welcome to the site!

[quote=”shadymg”]
              btw…anyone else amused that 2 of our most avid forum members, Meester and Jennyfur both missed the poll?!?!

okok, so no excuses…everyone knows there’s a new Blu-ray poll on the homepage now, right? 🙂

[/quote]

It was only up for a week.  I think the results may have gone more toward MC if it had been up for a month or so.  I voted in the new poll already, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.