OMG. Network timeout issues with WHS are driving me nuts

Home Forums Home Theater Computers OMG. Network timeout issues with WHS are driving me nuts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    PAPutzback
    Spectator

That is what I guess I should call it. I’ve never had trouble ripping a BD with AnyDVDHD directly to an ISO on my WHS, but as of this week, it started.

I think this is my clown BD issue. I would mount an iso located on WHS and then have clown_BD create the new BD structure in another directory on WHS. After 12 hours they would never complete. Then I ripped a BD to an iso on my local machine and tried to copy it to WHS. After about 4 gig the progress bar would turn red and the estimated time would disappear.

I’ve restarted all the pieces several times and nothing helps. Sometimes when it stalls and I go into explorer to view the shares it hangs while it looks for them. But I can still go into the server via the web interface and there is no hang there.

My only guess at a fix is to get an Intel Nic for the WHS. 

babgvant

If you haven’t updated the NIC drivers on the WHS in a while, that might be worth a go as well.

skirge01

I know MS sent out some updates for WHS recently and they were causing problems for some people.  Personally, I haven’t noticed any issues since the updates were installed.  You could try uninstalling the most recent updates to see if that fixes the issue.

phoneguyinpgh

I also assume you are using a static IP or atleast static DHCP in your router??

PAPutzback

I believe all have a static IP. I’ll double check. I rebooted the router earlier and will probably do the same with all my switches later also. 

PAPutzback

So I fired off a checkdisc script that is supposed to unmount all te discs and scan them. It has been running about 11 hours now. So while this was running I shared out one of the two backup drives and I was able to copy files to that shared with no problem about 45+MB from my SSD setup and 25 from my RAID 0 system.

So I know it isn’t a NICrouter,switch cabling issue. It has to be something with the JBOD system that WHS used. I’ve tried it with the demigrator service off and on.

The console says the drives are healthy. Perhaps when this chkdsk is done it will tell me something.

PAPutzback

Another thing I found out. I can read off the drive pool fine. So it comes down to writing is the only issue.

PAPutzback

Someone at MSDN responded. It appears that if a drive is failing the system will kick the transfer mode of the drive to PIO from DMA. Uninstalling the driver for my secondary channel and rebooting has seemed to fix the problem. I am still testing now. I kind of need that error to kick in again so I know which drive to toss.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.