Odd video glitch in MC- Save me before I rip it apart

Home Forums Windows Media Center Odd video glitch in MC- Save me before I rip it apart

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I bring you guys some of the wierdest things.  This is no different.  Since my recent reinstall of Win7 I am seeing an odd video glitch while navigating within MC.  When clicking on a tile I get a split second white horizontal line.  Seems to harm nothing in other performance, but I have never seen it before in either Vista MC or Win7.  It happens all the time.  Not sporadic.

Before I start tearing things apart I thought I would run this one by you guys to see if you have seen it before.

SJMaye

Watching closely I can not narrow it down.  The glitch is a momentary black horizontal line when you click a show to start watching (i.e. start MC player) and another when you stop.  Same for when watching “Live” TV.    At no other time while navigating MC do i see this aberration.

So it may not be medai center at all, but a glitch with the starting and stopping of the media player for media center.

Aaron Ledger

This sounds like it could be HDCP negotiation. 

SJMaye

I guess it could be, but I do not ever remember it before.  The only thing I have done since the reinstall of Win7 has been install ATI CCC and messing with the settings.  Oh, and I did the registry setting for full dynamic range.

I wonder about uninstalling either the rigistry hack or uninstalling and reinstalling the ccc and video driver.

Is the player the same for other video content?   Such my own recorded video that is devoid of DHCP.  If so, could I guess I could try playing some of that to see how it responed.

babgvant

Do you have SP1 installed?

SJMaye

Yes.  What does SP1 have to do with it?  

Have you ever seen or heard of this type abberation?  It is a horizontal black line about 1/8″ wide (on my TV) by full width of screen.  It is only there a split second then the recorded tv starts or ends.  It it located either in the half way up the screen or at any point below.  Seems to vary.

babgvant

[quote=SJMaye]

[/quote]

There was a similar issue with 7MC that was fixed in SP1.  It primarily affected Intel GPUs, but I’ve also heard reports of that issue occasionally repro’ing on other platforms.

SJMaye

Interesting.  This is a AMD Radeon HD 5670.  Either way I need to do more testing to narrow down when it does and does not occur.  May help diagnose.

Everything works OK, just an annoyance.

SJMaye

[quote=babgvant]

[quote=SJMaye]

[/quote]

There was a similar issue with 7MC that was fixed in SP1.  It primarily affected Intel GPUs, but I’ve also heard reports of that issue occasionally repro’ing on other platforms.

[/quote]

This is a fresh install of Win7.  It may have been there all along, but I simply cannot remember seeing it.  It would make sense that it could be related to the GPU as the drivers have changed.  Is there a way to find out with changing drivers?

SJMaye

I was probably wrong.  I get confused between CCC and just the video drivers.  I am just trying to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling CCC.  Would rather not be tweaking with settings again. 

Could CCC or the video driver be causing this glitch?

babgvant

The driver, or some setting (when applied by the driver) in CCC could easily cause an issue like this.

SJMaye

[quote=babgvant]

The driver, or some setting (when applied by the driver) in CCC could easily cause an issue like this.

[/quote]

Things were working with no issues on 11.8.  I think I will try going back.  Thx for the input.

SJMaye

In checking my driver I had forgotten I installed 11.8 (current being 11.9)  due to some hdmi audio issues.  I installed 11.9 and the little video glitch is gone.  As long as the audio remains stable I don’t think I will update drivers for a while.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.