New Apple TV

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground New Apple TV

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

if apple was willing to include blu-ray support on their laptops/desktops they could have possibly included some sort of transcode/streaming/sharing (since it would have to be only 720p) of a blu-ray drive like they do with optical drives and the macbook air, but…

i’ll have to say is meh

its another option in the race for small STB (if you can call them that)

It’s almost a step backwards in some ways. The prior box had quite a dedicated mod community.

It is big step backwards in hardware capability, but a step forward in streaming features.  The fact that it will run on iphone hardware makes it easy to build apps for it in the itunes store.

I have the old one and was happy with it.  It had the best streaming movies out of all my boxes.  I modded it but found it was too slow for the HD content I watch.  The SageTV HD200 is a much better experience for me.

I’ll wait to see how thing develop with these boxes.  I can keep using my appleTV classic for streaming movies but if this little box will support things like hulu and netflix and pandora etc then I might grab one.  $99 is cheap enough that it isn’t a big deal to replace my AppleTV classic.

Mike Garcen
    Participant

Here’s engadget’s hands on snapshots of it: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/apple-tv-2010-hands-on/

honestly, it’s about what i expected.

jrandeck
      Participant

[quote=”autoboy”]
        The fact that it will run on iphone hardware makes it easy to build apps for it in the itunes store.
        [/quote]

I haven’t seen anything that indicates you’ll be able to run apps on it.  Engadget seems to think that’s not a feature: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/appletv-vs-the-competition-how-does-it-stack-up/

If it could run apps I would probably give it a try just to see what it can do.  Their $.99 TV show rental fee will never fly in my house (maybe if it had the capability to download and store them).  Good luck getting Hulu or any of the network sites on it.

Yeah, it seems like no apps support for it.  Lame…

It won’t be in my stocking this year then.  Since I can get all of it’s functionality in other devices already.

the Roku players alone kick the crap out of the Apple Tv…what are they thinking?

I was talking to a hardcore apple fan boy about it at work and he thought it was a joke of a product too.  He said its basically for lazy people that dont want to look for other options.

I would phrase it more as that it is aimed at your average consumer…one who doesn’t want to think about it, they just want a product that works, especially those consumers that already purchase media through iTunes.

Mike Garcen
        Participant

betcha it outsells the Roku in no time. Especially when so much traffic flows through the Apple store for much higher cost items, a $99 box is basically an add-on that they’ll be able to upsell.

I agree with the last couple of posts.  We all know it’s kind of a joke compared to the more full setups we (missing remote readers) tend to have going.  But I’m interested in your thoughts from a different perspective.
            I don’t like Apple at all, but from an investor standpoint, it seems to me that properly promoted, Apple could have another huge hit on their hands.  There are millions (hundreds of millions?) of people out there that would like some streaming capability from their computer to their tv that expect to plug in a couple wires and just have everything work.  Geesh, I’ve got relatives who barely use what I already set up for them not to mention the ones that like my setup but won;t take a step in our direction.
            People that don’t know what an extender even is Vastly outnumber us and for $99, it’s an easy Christmas present.  We have all known that somebody could blow the roof off this market and I wonder if this might be the unit to do it, regardless of its’ capabilities.  Thoughts?

mikinho
          Participant

I think it will do very well with the non-techie crowd and college kids with existing Macs, iPhones, iPads.  And that demographic far outnumbers the HTPC enthusiast. 

I can def see that non-techies purchasing it with its ease of use with other macs.  Though consumers are becoming smarter….to an extent if laziness doest out way the effort for research.

man, I see this little box as huge potential as a quick and easy bedroom or under cupboard kitchen tv install

depending on how easy it is to feed all my current content to it, it could be a godsend

i can’t build a htpc that small, for that cheap

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.