Need input on HTPC case selection

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Need input on HTPC case selection

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I am looking at HTPC cases.  I am pretty sure I will settle on a mATX motherboard.  I can’t decide on a full-height or half-height case.  I will be  running a i3-530 with no video card.  Only cards I can think I will be adding are a ceton card and maybe a modem for callerid.

I like the look of half height, but worried about flexibility for expansion cards.  Anyone here have some recommendations?

If you truly need the half-height, obviously go for it.  As you said, you will definitely be limited in the choice of hardware.  You may also find that parts may be more expensive.  So, if you truly have a choice and a full-height case will work, I would definitely go that route.  As you get into these builds, you may not see what other uses you’ll come up with, where you may need more cards or more power.  I started out with a full HTPC and quickly realized I needed to break it out into a server/client setup, due to how quickly I was expanding my storage capacity and all the cool things I wanted to run (comskip, FTP, backups, etc.).

Mike Garcen
    Participant

skirge makes some great points. Unless you know you don’t like to tinker (ha!) i would go with the full height options, if only because A) More room to work anyways, and B) Just more options going forward. Who knows what upgrade down the road you’ll have that you’ll wish you had it.

Of course, if space is an option, then that handcuffs you a bit

Andrew Van Til
      Keymaster

I’ve used both, and while I really liked the full size case I think the low profile options are better looking (generally more expensive too).  The biggest drawback to low profile cases is storage capacity; all of the other parts you’d put in a HTPC will have a low profile version (GPU, tuners, etc).

Personally, I don’t want a lot of hard disks in the PC I can see because they are loud and generate a good amount of heat (which makes the PC louder).  So while I use a HTPC in the living room as a server it only has one hard drive and one SSD in it with all of the other storage located in another file server so that’s not an issue for me.

Thanks for all the input.  The half heights are cute, but I am sure you are right about looking toward the future.  I will go full height.

I was looking at the Antec Fusion Black.  I like the looks.  I like that it has built in IR receiver.  Price is a little more than I wanted to spend, but what are you going to do?

Any other case you would recommend looking at?

Great choice!  I love my Antec Fusion (silver, no IR receiver), so that one gets my vote.  ;D  I’d be hard pressed to go with a different case next time.  It looks really nice with the rest of the A/V equipment.

I do wish they would remove the (giant) Volume control on these things though…

[quote=”RehabMan”]
        I do wish they would remove the (giant) Volume control on these things though…
        [/quote]

Like many people, I don’t use it, but that would be an awful sparse front if it wasn’t there.  I’m not sure what else could be placed in that position, though.

Andrew Van Til
        Keymaster

[quote=”SJMaye”]
          Any other case you would recommend looking at?
          [/quote]

NMEDIAPC makes some pretty nice full height mATX cases that are very reasonably priced.

Yea thats a great choice I have been really happy with my antec, it runs really quiet too.  Easy to work on.  Though you are right about the big knob but it gives it that hey I look like an AV receiver and I am in the right place with the other equipment look.  I have seen some complaints about the blue light being too bright, I dont think it is at all annoying by any means.  If it is to you,  I’ve heard of people taking a permanent marker to it.

A built-in IR receiver is convenient, but I kind of like having my IR receiver at the end of a USB cable because its allowed me to position it up near the television where its more convenient to aim my remote at.

Obviously whether or not that makes a difference depends on your particular setup, but it is something to think about. from my usual sitting position I have a coffee table that gets in the way of line of sight with my htpc.

i have the redheaded stepbrother of the fusion, the NSK2480. I dont think it looks overly sparse without the volume knob, though if i were going to fix one thing on the both the fusion and NSK2480 it would be hiding the front ports behind a door or something. the fusion already does that with the optical drive, would it have been too much to not have a bunch of crappy ports clearly visible from the front?

(I do appreciate having a USB port, of course. i just dont want to see it)

regarding the LEDs, i just unplugged them.

I like the USB port not being behind a panel since mine are almost always in use by something.  I have the wireless keyboard receiver plugged into one at all times and the other one is used for thumb drives pretty regularly.

I have my wireless keyboard receiver plugged into a USB cable and placed in the shadows where it still has closer to line of site than it does from the back of the case. I didn’t want it sticking out from the front of the case, but despite being rf i was still having dropped keystrokes and other interference problems when it was plugged into the back.

I like the thought of hidden USB port ports and such.  I only use mine when doing an upgrade or something.  I had considered RF, but I want one simple remote that will also turn the TV off.  My TV will not accept RF signals.  I personally like the old silver MS MCE remote. 

I would like to suggest the nMediaPC 6000B.
          I have the case and have been nothing but pleased. The cost when I purchased the item was low, and the quality reasonable for the price. Tons of space, and I have never had problems with noise.
          The blue light is very reasonably lit and the HDD status light is very will obscured by smoked plastic.
          They make a micro version as well in the 5000B but you will be more pressed on space.

I think I wrote a review on the 6000B here though.

Regardless best of luck in your search.
          -Mast3rL33

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.