Need help- Radeon HD5670 no picture

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Need help- Radeon HD5670 no picture

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I have a Radeon HD5670 running HDMI to the TV.  That has run fine for months.  My HTPC case has a built-in display with a VGA connector.  I want to hook this up.  It worked fine on my old 8600GT card, but cannot get it working on the HD5670.  This card has HDMI (to TV) and a DVI port.  Since my case display uses a VGA connector I used a DVI to VGA connector.  I get no picture, the PC nor the catalyst software detects the case display is there.  If I get rid of the adapter and hook up my desktop monitor that is also DVI it works fine.

Can someone help?

swoon

What is the exact model of 5670? It is possible that the vendor did not implement analog on the DVI port. If that were the case, no VGA. There are also cards that come in a low-profile form factor where VGA is brought out to a separate connector via a header and ribbon cable only for full-profile.

SJMaye

Hi Swoon,

It is this one SAPPHIRE 100287L

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870

I would have assumed VGA could work on the DVI as they supplied a DVI to VGA adapter. 

There is a remote chance the display is not working.  I will try a known good VGA monitor and try it again/.

swoon

They must have since the vendor includes a DVI to VGA adapter. Do you have anything else with a VGA input you can test against?

SJMaye

I guess I needed to look at that little display more often.  I was able to connect the DVI-VGA to a VGA monitor.  The HTPC detected it right away and the screen came up.  Now I am sure, unfortunately, there is something wrong with the touchscreen display on my HTPC case.  Will try to figure that out now. I doubt the fix will be cheap.

Thanks for the help.  Just goes to show my memory is not what it used to be.

SJMaye

While I am at it here let me ask you something else.  The reason I needed the HTPC case screen was the HMDI connection to the TV would not allow me to enter the bios.  I need to enter the bios to make a change.

While on HDMI from HTPC to TV I have a picture.  During POST I hit the delete key to enter the bios.  For whatever reason when I hit the delete key it does blinks for a second then goes back to POST again.  Will not enter the bios.

I tried calling Gigabyte (motherboard) and AMD (video card) which got me no where.  Do you have any ideas?

swoon

Did it work with your 8600 GT? Does it work with your VGA monitor that was used to verify VGA was functional? If so, perhaps try using a DVI>HDMI adapter to see if it will work.

SJMaye

Hi Swoon,

Everything worked back with the 8600GT, but as was pointed out here my memory is failing.  I think the issue with the case display screen is totally separate from the inability to access the bios while viewing via an HDMI connected TV.  The way it worked with the 8600GT was the case display would be on until Windows started to load upon which time it would shut off.  It was sort of the default display before the windows drivers loaded (at least as I saw it).  That worked fine as I only used it for troubleshooting and bios access anyway. 

It appears clear that the video card is working OK.  I need to find out what is wrong with the display.  Could be something related to the upgrade in main board, processor, …. while I was reassembling.  That all happened around the addition of the 5670.

Still, sure seems weird the computer will not allow me to access the bios through a HDMI connection.  Just checked it again.  Screen goes black for a second or two and comes back as if rebooting and you see the POST screen start all over again. 

swoon

Can you verify another display works when using HDMI port? Can you try using the DVI port to your display via DVI>HDMI adapter to see if that works?

SJMaye

Can do.  Will try after work tonight

SJMaye

Swoon,

I don’t know whether to be embarrassed or frustrated.  Pulled out the DVI to HDMI adapter.  The same one I thought that did not give a picture before.  While windows desktop was up I pulled the HDMI from the HDMI video card port over to the DVI to HDMI adapter.  Picture came right back up. I plugged a USB keyboard in to a USB port on the back panel. I rebooted and was able to enter the bios!  Next I thought I would try something else. I shutdown and switched the HDMI cable back to the HDMI port and booted.  I was able to enter the bios there too!

There is only one thing that has come to me that could be a possible answer.  You will notice I underlined plugging in the keyboard to the back panel.  In most attempts before I was using the USB ports on the front panel.  It is possible that all the problems entering the bios are related to those ports.  I know for sure I was using those ports the other morning when it would go blank for a moment andstart over again while trying to enter the bios.  Strange. I thought it would either work or not work.

So it appears my video card works OK and I can change my bios now, but all this has brought to light some things that I may have not gotten right in last year’s main board, cpu and ram upgrade.  I am pretty sure I have some USB headers I need to check.

Thank you for your help.  As usual, Missing Remote is more help than I got from anywhere else.

swoon

That’s interesting. It is usually difficult to plug in the USB cable into the header incorrectly because the cable is typically “keyed.” If the port was working under Windows, it was probably plugged in ok, but it is worth double-checking.

You really figured this one out on your own. I just provided a few diversions for you :).

SJMaye

Swoon,

Just wanted you to know I went through the HTPC this weekend and solved all my oddities.  The built in display had a loose connection and the ON/Off button lead to the main board had become unplugged.  I even got AHCI working, but no change in video playback of recordedtv.  I am creating a separate post. I would appreciate your perspective.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.