Modem to Router thru VR/Surge/UPS: good idea, bad idea or doesn’t matter?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Modem to Router thru VR/Surge/UPS: good idea, bad idea or doesn’t matter?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’m reconfiguring my rack and cabling this weekend.

Questions:

1.) I’m thinking about running my cat6 from Modem to Router thru the Voltage Regulator/Surge Protector/UPS.

Is this a: good idea, bad idea or it doesn’t matter?

(If not a good idea, how about between the router and the switch?)

2.) Also is there any disadvantage going thru a patch panel for all my networking cable connections before going into the switch? (I’ll be checking all my connections using the procurve switch “cable diagnostics” and probably get a cable tester too)

3.) Network switch Procuve is on bottom of rack; 2 HDHRs, Sqeezebox, Cable TA, Router and Modem on top shelf (ful wall height rack). Should I run a cat6 from each device or could I use a GB 8 port switch I have for this ancillary devices on the top shelf and just one cat6 down to the procurve switch. Any extra good or bad in either setup?

Thanks,

Jeff

mikinho

Ethernet surge protection is a little bit of a gimmick unless there is PoE components involved. For phone lines it is a must.  What is useful is:

1) Power surge protection on the modem, router, switch and just about any network device.  You obviously already know that and have it covered.  If anyone does want a suggestion, Brick Wall makes some great surge protection equipment.  Pricey but if you want top-notch…that is it.

2) Surge protection on the coaxial line coming into the building.  If you have spikes on the Ethernet it is coming from a spike in the electrical or coax line.  The exception here is with PoE equipment that is potentially exposed outside.

Just make sure to not get a cheap gas discharge tubes only style protector.  I prefer diverter type surge protectors with a robust ground connection attached to the main ground.  But you should also check if your cable provider already has one installed.  Typically on new installs you’ll see a grounding block connected to the conduit near the KWH meter.  I thought it was part of the National Electrical Code regulations.  This should divert any but the most unlucky lighting strikes and if you get one that bad then nothing you can do about it.

Two relatively inexpensive products I’ve installed before in either my own home or friendsfamily are the Citel P8AX09 and TII 212.  They are gas discharge but not “cheap” ones.

[quote]2.) Also is there any disadvantage going thru a patch panel for all my networking cable connections before going into the switch? (I’ll be checking all my connections using the procurve switch “cable diagnostics” and probably get a cable tester too)[/quote]

There is a theoretical loss but I wouldn’t even consider it.  Just make sure to get a reasonable quality Cat6 patch panel.  I think we’ve had this discussion here on Missing Remote before but I’ve seen too many instances where consumers purchase Cat6 or better cable, Gigabit switches but then neglect to get corresponding patch panels or jacks.

mikinho

And this is assuming your electrical outlets are grounded properly, obviously any floating grounds can introduce all kinds of issues on Ethernet, HDMI, etc.

Aaron Ledger

Reminds me of when I rewired my coax and I found that some lazy installer didn’t have the ground block grounded! Always check this and if you don’t have one, get it. They are super cheap and relatively easy to install.

When using a patch panel, make sure they are CAT6 connectors as it sounds like you have CAT6 everywhere.

Try plugging as much as you can direct into the ProCurve, especially the HDHR.

mikinho

btw, Take a look at http://www.brickwall.com/ground-current.html.  It discusses some potential data line surges caused by surge protectors.

Glitchy

[quote=mikinho]

btw, Take a look at http://www.brickwall.com/ground-current.html.  It discusses some potential data line surges caused by surge protectors.

[/quote]

Thanks guys.

Got coax grounding and surge.

Electrical grounding covered. (my dad was an electrical contractor and I worked for him when I was a kid.) I did all the electrical for gear and rack myself. House is 5 years old, so should be good.

I’m all about constant voltage. Maybe the equipment is better now, but back in the day I saw low/high voltage spikes do terrible things to equipment of all kinds. So I just don’t take a chance. My UPS does a bit of voltage regulation and I have a whole house surge protector.  

Yeah, the switch at the top of the rack was a bad (lazy) idea. All to the procurve. Time to order more cables. I cut all cables for the rack to length last time out. Learned that lesson.

All cables, connectors, patch panel cat6.

Thanks

Jeff

Glitchy

[quote=mikinho]

[/quote]

Looked at the brick wall site. I’ll be getting those right after I win the lotto or if I figure a way to cash in my life insurance policy, before the big event.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.