Media center stops recording show early in order to record next show on the same channel

Home Forums Windows Media Center Media center stops recording show early in order to record next show on the same channel

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by captain_video.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PAPutzback
    Spectator

E.g. Modern family runs from 9-9:30 and then Happy Endings from 9:30 to 10. In order to catch the end of Modern Family I have to watch the beginning of Happy Endings. And should I watch Happy Ending and forget this bug exists I typically delete a show when I am done so I lose the ending of Modern Family. Now due to Windows Time issues I have my shows set to start recording several minutes early so I miss quite a few endings.

I read this thread here http://tweaks.com/windows/35867/adjust-time-mce-records-before-and-after-a-show/ and will take a look at it even though it is a Windows XP post.

What bugs me is that I have 8 tuners for the show so it is not like the following show can’t start on its own tuner. I guess I can work around it by splitting my tuners and specifying which tuner to use for each show but that doesn’t seem necessary. 

bigscarymike

I spent a lot of time chasing this issue myself.  The resolution I used was to force all recordings to end 10 minutes after the stop time.  This forces WMC to overlap consecutive recordings on the same channel.

No setting less than 10 minutes worked for me.  I believe that “5 minutes after” worked previously, but some update put a stop to that.

– Mike

PAPutzback

I can’t find that setting. I have seen it before though. Is it a per show, season or recording default setting.

oliverredfox

I just changed my settings +10 minute for this very reason. 

It’s under Tasks>Settings>TV>Recorder>Recording Defaults>Stop when Possible

bigscarymike

It can also be set per recording or on a series recording.

umdivx

Go into Recorded TV > Click on View Scheduled at the top > Click on Series menu on the upper left > Click on series in question > click on Series settings upper left > Scroll to the bottom and you’ll see Stop: section, adjust when you want it to stop there.

-Josh

PAPutzback

I found the settings and it appears it has to be set to ten minutes or more. Any less and it gets cut off and put on the beginning of the next show on the same channel.

lisjes@aol.com

It appears that you watch both shows, so why not set up a ‘custom’ recording that will cover the entire hour as one recording?? This is what I do now for all my back-to-back recordings on a single channel.

captain_video

That only works if the two shows air at the same time every week.  The networks have a habit of moving things around that messes up your recording schedule.  Set up your default record settings so it records 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after the show.  You may have to set up the stop time for any individual recordings but it’s got to be at least 10 minutes or it will cut off back-to-back recordings.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.