Media Center and Netflix- Errors

Home Forums Windows Media Center Media Center and Netflix- Errors

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Just rebuilt my media center. Reinstalled Netflix.  I  hoped this would fix some of the issues I had been getting but no cigar.  Each time I try to add something to my queue I get a blue media center dialog box saying something about verify my internet connection is working.  Same thing if I try to rate a show or change the order of the queue.

Anyone else see these problems?  I have had them for a long time.  Netflix surely knows about them by now?

mikinho

Have you checked to ensure that your time and timezone are correct on your system?

SJMaye

Well, yes.  Sort of.  I reinstalled Win 7 yesterday and set my time zone.  Did a rudimentary set of the clock, but assumed the auto time sync would adjust it.

Can you tell me why this would cause the problems I am having?  Seems odd.

mikinho

A large percentage of the operations w/ Netflix are handled over SSL. If your time is off by enough the SSL handshake will fail. It is one of the more common Netflix issues. That or their certificates expiring on one of the servers in their webfarm.

SJMaye

Thanks for the explanation, Michael.  I will check and report back.

SJMaye

OK.  I manually syncd the time, but no change.  Anytime I try to add a movie to the instan queue I get the error telling me to check my internet connection.

And this is with a fresh install of Win7 and the Netflix plugin.  Odd.

osburnfamily

Try and manually set your DNS addresses instead of using DHCP/your router.

I reloaded one of my PCs last week 3 times because I couldn’t get DRM to update or Netflix to work.  Finally after the 3rd time, I thought about DNS.  Set a static DNS address and bingo–

SJMaye

[quote=osburnfamily]

Try and manually set your DNS addresses instead of using DHCP/your router.

I reloaded one of my PCs last week 3 times because I couldn’t get DRM to update or Netflix to work.  Finally after the 3rd time, I thought about DNS.  Set a static DNS address and bingo–

[/quote]

Interesting.  I am game.  Can you explain how?  Sorry.   Just never done that before.

two sheds

@SJMaye, same problem here when attempting to add to Instant Queue, and also when trying to add a rating of an item. 

o  I have not done the reinstalls that you mention but apparently these did not help anyway. 

o  My system date/time/timezone are up-to-date now, but admittedly the time was not set to the minute for a week or so.  Setting the time has not fixed these Netflix problems.

o  Switched to a static DNS setting but have same problems.

Going to Netflix on the HTPC browser (Firefox), I can add to Instant Queue and rate items with no problems.

These are more annoyances than critical errors since the browser provides a workaround, but this used to work fine from Media Center and preference is that they do so.

SJMaye

[quote=two sheds]

but this used to work fine from Media Center and preference is that they do so.[/quote]

Glad you said that. It did use to work.  A while back I know the ability to rate worked and then did not work for me.  I quit trying.  When I tried yesterday that worked.  Still cannot add a video to the instant queue, though. 

Like you said, it is just an annoyance.  I do the bulk of the organization on my desktop.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.