Logitech Revue with Google TV details

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Logitech Revue with Google TV details

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

I imagine that if Apple TV units start selling that the Revue will drop in price 100 bucks by Christmas. And then some more via rebate. I think if you get the unit into the house they can make their money off the peripherals and market sales.

Here is a video of Sony’s TV with google running on it.

http://gizmodo.com/5662369/how-it-feels-to-use-sonys-first-google-tv

Mike Garcen
    Participant

MAN that is a complicated keyboard…that would scare most people away from it IMO

mikinho
      Participant

The more I see from of the Revue the more I think it was pushed to market in the hopes of being the first and getting the early adapter market.  Purposely limited (i.e. peripherals being restricted) to make the v2 device look that much better.

[quote=”Mikinho”]
        Purposely limited (i.e. peripherals being restricted) to make the v2 device look that much better.
        [/quote]

LOL!  Gee… what fruit-loving company does THAT sound like?

mikinho
        Participant

[quote=”Skirge01″]
          LOL!  Gee… what fruit-loving company does THAT sound like?
          [/quote]

Very true.

And I don’t know why I expected Google to be different…but I did.

I think it was pushed to market to compete with Apple TV and grab some headlines before Christmas.
          From the reviews I am seeing the interface is a bit laggy, both on the Revue and the actual Sony TVs. They didn’t really mention whether it was software, hardware or network lag. But this is definitely a big step for media, bigger than 3d rolling out IMO. Now we just need a Kinect like interface, the remote is getting way outdated.

id rather have voice recognition than use body movements to control my media devices. i dont want the channel to change because i am scratching my temple.

I’ve never had any luck with voice recognition whenever there was background noise. But perhaps a mix between the two. I assume if a system could be trained to your voice it could pick it out of the background noise and be used to activate the optical recognition software. I know last year I tried voice recognition on my Win 7 PC and to click on an Icon was a series of steps. First step was to enable the grid on the green and then chosing a box “D7”, then that box would split into 9 boxes and again “B2” until you finally drilled down and could say “Right Click”.

It seems like within the last 4-5 years optical and voice recognition has really improved, I am sure we will see something that works as intuitively as the mouse soon.

well yes, a voice recognition input system hacked onto a mouse-based UI is going to be about as useful as when they tried to hack on a touchscreen interface onto windows (ie. it sucks). But it should be possible to write a voice recognition based interface from the ground up like iOS did for touchscreens, at least for 10′ interfaces.

though i suppose the same can be said for camera/gestures based UIs, perhaps there would be some (hard to accidentally make) gesture that would be required before it would take any inputs.

that being said, i’d probably still rather just say “computer, show ESPN” or “computer, display movies containing Jason Statham”

I find that to be a much more intuitive break from remotes. gestures, at least as i can imagine them, would be more like using a remote in that you would need sequences of gestures to do complex tasks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.