Is there a way to allow for more than 4 tuners without using Tuner Salad?

Home Forums Windows Media Center Is there a way to allow for more than 4 tuners without using Tuner Salad?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PAPutzback
    Spectator

My last upgrade cost me my 4 OTA tuners since I did not know Tuner Salad was charging these days. I am not sure I need any more functionality from the app other than allowing for more tuners. 

Is there a registry key I can change?

Chasseur

I don’t know, but it’s only 5$…

TheEmirOfGroofunkistan

yes, buy a ceton infinitv

osburnfamily

I don’t have a direct answer to your question but wanted to help clear the air from previous replies that aren’t entirely correct.

Out of the box, MediaCenter allows for up-to 4 tuners of EACH TYPE.  So, 4 OTA ATSC, 4 NTSC, 4 CableCARD, etc..etc..  You can have as many tuners as there are types, so long as you only have 4 of each type (in my example you can have 12 total tuners w/o any special changes).

If you have 2 Cetons (8 tuners) installed on a single MediaCenter, you would need TunerSalad.

What TunerSalad does (not sure how) is simply removes that restriction.

I don’t know how Hauppauge & HDHomeRun do it for their 6-tuner option– I’m assuming they have whatever TunerSalad does, built into their software installer.

Aaron Ledger

[quote=osburnfamily]

If you have 2 Cetons (8 tuners) installed on a single MediaCenter, you would need TunerSalad. 

[/quote]

Actually, when using Ceton products, the tuner allowance is set to 30 in WMC and up to 12 are officially supported by Ceton. There is not a requirement for any additional software when adding a 2nd (or 3rd) InfiniTV 4.

osburnfamily

This is awesome news Aaron– do you know if this is something that started getting including in the Ceton driver install package that perhaps wasn’t there initially?  When I first got my second Ceton, I had to use TS to get the other 4 to be recognized.

Aaron Ledger

You are correct. The feature was added to the driver package only about a year ago. If you re-install your tuners on a fresh system, you should have no problem adding your tuners when just using the current driver package.

PAPutzback

But that is only if you add a CETON Tuner. I have 1 4 channel Ceton Tuner and it did not grab the 4HDHRs I have installed. So I’ll have to buy the tuner salad.

babgvant

Did you try uninstalling the Ceton driver, then installing it again?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.