i3-530 Intel Integrated Graphics help needed

Home Forums Home Theater Computers i3-530 Intel Integrated Graphics help needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I am looking for some help with these graphics.  This is a new Media Center build.  The video appears to have a haze over it.  On nVidia cards I was able to fix by setting Dynamic Contrast to FULL, but I see no such adjustment with these graphics. 

Anyone have experience with these graphics?

Mike Garcen

how are you connecting? what resolution? i’m not sure i’m following the haze you’re mentioning…any chance for a picture?

SJMaye

Connected via HDMI at 1080i.  The hazehas always been weird, but founds ways around with Nvidia and ATI in the past.  I just do not seem such adjustments available for the Intel HD graphics.

swoon

By haze, do you mean that the black level (brightness) setting is incorrect? It sounds like you may have a levels mismatch between GPU and display. Are you using the latest Intel HD Graphics driver? Have you made sure to check calibration patterns, especially brightness (PLUGE)? This guide will help you make sure your black levels are correct.

SJMaye

Yes, this is normally addressed via black levels.  By default nVidia sets it to limited.  Once set to full it seems OK.  On ATI the solution was different.   Although black levels helped, I saw a big difference in changing pxel format to YCbCr.

Strange thing in searching around Intel website and the internet there are no instructions on configuring.  Either a really dumb question because configuration is that simple or no one else is having a problem.

swoon

Ok, the Clarkdale is outputting RGB with levels (approximately) <16 and >235 clipped. You can alter this with the brightness setting in the driver. IIRC, the newest driver has a new switch for Limited/Full that I haven’t played with.

To get proper blacks, you must make sure your display is appropriately configured to accept this input. For example, my Samsung display has a setting called “HDMI Black Level” with values of either “Low” or “Normal”. When set to “Low” the display will expect black to be level 16 and white to be level 235, in other words “Video Levels”. Otherwise “Normal” expects black to be level 0 and white to be level 255, in other words “PC Levels”. If there is no setting, you must figure out what your display expects.

Most software such as WMC or TMT, etc should be requesting Video Levels from the driver.

The reason why YCbCr is different and is easier to deal with is because there is no option as the encoding always requires “Video Levels”.

Again, I highly recommend performing a basic calibration of your black levels using a PLUGE pattern.

SJMaye

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info.  It really does help.  With regard to video driver.  I did update the driver and got no picture.  Since this was on a single display computer I could see nothing.  I connected remotely and rolled the driver back.  I will no longer be able to connect remotely.  Can I just reload in Safe Mode and roll the driver back if I have a problem again?

I will calibrate the display.  can you comment further on the PLUGE pattern? 

swoon

Yes, you should always be able to load in safe mode and restore/uninstall the driver. I’ve never had to with the Clarkdale driver, but that would be how I would do it.

If you follow that calibration guide I linked in my first post, you’ll find the section on brightness adjustment which has the flashing bars pattern. These patterns are available for free download on AVS Forum and linked in the guide.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.