I need help building a server

Home Forums Home Theater Computers I need help building a server

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    swoon

If you are buying a retail box Intel chip, it will come with a heat sink and fan.

mikinho

[quote=dbocce3]

• Do I need to install a fan on top of the CPU or will the fans in the case be sufficient?

[/quote]

You have plenty of room so you’ll still want a CPU heatsinkfan (HSF).  The stock fan that comes with Core i3-2100T should suffice.  It isn’t the most efficient but you have a server case so I’m assuming it isn’t going to be physically located in an area you care.  The case fans will also be louder than the fan on the stock HSF.

[quote=dbocce3]

• How can I find out what type of fan fits over the CPU and on the board? Can you make any recommendations as to a type or where to look?

[/quote]

I would try the stock HSF first but if you do want to upgrade then any LGA 1155 fan will work.  From there you’ll need to check 3 basic dimensions: 1- How much vertical space you have between the CPU and the chassis cover.  Shouldn’t be an issue; 2- The diameter around the CPU for any components that may interfere.  Again, shouldn’t be a problem with just about any HSF you choose with this case; 3- If you get a large HSF that clearance with RAM modules.  This is a concern when you go with larger modules w/ crazy heat-sinks on them.

dbocce3

Well played guys and truly incredible and useful feedback. I am very grateful.

One last thing ( I swear this time) … You mentioned earlier that the PSU was to big. Can you make any recommendations on something smaller that will support the MB and CPU?

Thanks for the last time!

swoon

Can you provide your final system build and how much it could possibly expand?

Most likely, You’ll want something in the 300 – 400W range. Power supply efficiency drops pretty dramatically less than 20% load which is why oversized supplies are a waste.

Mike Garcen

I’ve used something like this Power Supply Calculator for years now to get an idea of the power requirements a system will take. Please please PLEASE do not take this as 100% truth though, it’s just an estimation and your power consumption will vary. BUT, it gives you a good idea of the range…but ALWAYS guess high 😉

dbocce3

My final system build comes from the ‘Guide to building a HD HTPC‘ on the AVSforum. That person put together a great guide and has everything I need. I am using what he recommended except for what I have put in bold below. Any help you can offer on the PSU is greatly appreciated as I think the PSU he recommended might be overkill.

• Case: NORCO RPC-450B Black 4U Server Rackmount Chassis
                • PSU: Corsair TX650W CMPSU-650TX 650W Seems a little much
                • CPU: Pentium G620 2.6GHz 2C/2T 65W LGA 1155. I will be using the i3-2100T based on your recommendations.
                • CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler
                • Motherboard: Intel DB65AL LGA 1155 Intel B65 chipset microATX. I will be using the Intel BOXDH61BEB3 board based on your recommendations.
                • Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 CL9 2 x 2GB Kit
                • HBA: HighPoint Rocket 620 2-port SATA 6.0Gb/s Controller PCI Express x1 Card
                • HBA: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-port SAS/SATA 3.0Gb/s Controller PCI Express x4 Card
                • Cable: 0.5m SFF-8087 to Four SATA Forward Breakout Cable (e.g. 3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M)
                • Cable: 0.5m SFF-8087 to Four SATA Forward Breakout Cable (e.g. 3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M)
                • Mounter: SYBA SY-MRA25018 2.5??SATA HDD Tray Less Mobile Rack for PCI Slot (attaching the 2.5″ HDD (HDD A) for OS to an empty expansion slot).
                • HDD for OS: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s mobile

swoon

[quote=dbocce3]

My final system build comes from the ‘Guide to building a HD HTPC‘ on the AVSforum. That person put together a great guide and has everything I need. I am using what he recommended except for what I have put in bold below. Any help you can offer on the PSU is greatly appreciated as I think the PSU he recommended might be overkill.

• Case: NORCO RPC-450B Black 4U Server Rackmount Chassis
                  • PSU: Corsair TX650W CMPSU-650TX 650W Seems a little much
                  • CPU: Pentium G620 2.6GHz 2C/2T 65W LGA 1155. I will be using the i3-2100T based on your recommendations.
                  • CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler
                  • Motherboard: Intel DB65AL LGA 1155 Intel B65 chipset microATX. I will be using the Intel BOXDH61BEB3 board based on your recommendations.
                  • Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 CL9 2 x 2GB Kit
                  • HBA: HighPoint Rocket 620 2-port SATA 6.0Gb/s Controller PCI Express x1 Card
                  • HBA: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-port SAS/SATA 3.0Gb/s Controller PCI Express x4 Card
                  • Mounter: SYBA SY-MRA25018 2.5??SATA HDD Tray Less Mobile Rack for PCI Slot (attaching the 2.5″ HDD (HDD A) for OS to an empty expansion slot).
                  • HDD for OS: Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s mobile

[/quote]

How many HDD are you planning for? It appears the chassis supports 10 3.5″ bays. With all the SATA ports from motherboard plus add-in cards you listed, you’ll have 16 SATA ports to play with.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.