HTPC Build Suggestions for an older Component Only TV

Home Forums Home Theater Computers HTPC Build Suggestions for an older Component Only TV

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi All,

I’d like to build an HTPC that allows me to cut the cord to cable and add an antennae. The factor that over-rides all other considerations is that my TV can only take component analog inputs (ypbpr) and I don’t have the budget for a new TV along with the system. Also has to be easy for my wife to use.

My goals are: DVR software, don’t need to record more than one show at once, but it would be nice to watch one show while recording another, BluRay playback, playing files off of my laptop that I have connected to network (laptop is wireless, HTPC would be ethernet).

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: December 2013

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) $500 to $700 after shipping, rebates, and including OS

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Live and Recorded TV, website playback (like NBC.com or Youtube or Netflix, file playback, BluRay, very light gaming. 

Are you buying a monitor: No. The TV I have is a Phillips HD tube TV that looks great still and weighs about 300 lbs. I literally can not move it anytime soon.

Need a complete system, I have no existing parts except for the TV and the sound system.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, would consider linux, but have never used it.

Preferred Website for Parts: NewEgg

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe if needed.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe if needed

Your Monitor Resolution: TV will accept 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i through the component inputs/

Audio: I have a sound system that can take optical audio inputs.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Want to stop paying for cable

babgvant

I think Windows Media Center is probably your best bet for the OS and DVR SW, but connecting to a component TV will cause some complications. Finding a modern GPU that does that will be difficult, especially considering the Blu-ray (HDCP) requirement.

While it is possible to do that, it’s always been a bit of a challenge to use analog outs from a HTPC. If you absolutely must use that TV, we can find something that should work, but it will be more expensive and less capable than an all digital system.

Mike Garcen

another out of the box type of suggestion, and actually one that i’m doing on my bedroom where the HDMI blew out, would be to buy an Xbox 360 used (easily should be available at under $100) which supports Component video, and then set it up as your extender.

Of course, Xbox performence as an HTPC is nowhere near as good as native IMHO

oliverredfox

[quote=jonepner]
          System Usage from Most to Least Important: Live and Recorded TV
          And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Want to stop paying for cable

[/quote]

If your goal is to ditch cable, are you looking to record HDTV ATSC over-the-air?  NTSC standard TV over-the-air?

[quote=jonepner]

very light gaming.
          [/quote]

The component video will make it tricky.  Since it’ll take an older card to do that output natively and it’ll have a hard time with games.  The best option would likely be to use a video converter and a newer card.  Something like this- http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=8668&seq=1&format=2

Someone might have more recent knowledge of this.  I know a few years ago I had a TV with both component and VGA inputs.  With component, DRM’d content was forced to run at 480p but VGA skirted around that and worked at up 1080p on my set (the 50′ VGA cable I had to buy annoyed me).  I don’t know if VGA still skirts around the DRM in most stuff like that, but if it does, the converter should trick Windows into thinking it’s outputing on VGA and let it run at full resolution.

Night Rider

I just gave away to my cousin an Audio Athority
            VGA to Component Video Transcoder Model 9A60A
            http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/9A60A

• Converts VGA signals to component video
            • May require third party software for some applications
            • Supports resolutions up to 1080p

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.