How to pack a plasma without original box?

Home Forums General Home Theater Discussion How to pack a plasma without original box?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Garcen
    Participant

So my landlord threw away the box that came with my 50″ plasma, and i’m moving friday, so any good tips on how best to pack this bad boy up for a cross state trip in a budget truck?

oliverredfox

Make sure the box you put it in allows it to sit upright.  Don’t want it laying flat or if you hit a bump, the glass will shatter.

Mike Garcen

well that’s the problem, i don’t have any box it’ll fit…so what do i do?

Glitchy

[quote=Mike Garcen]

[/quote]

Put it on the stand. Wrap it in packing/moving blankets. Put it between 2 boxes as big/bigger than the TV. Put some other boxes between the big boxes so they don’t move against the TV and fill the voids with more blankets. Strap the two big boxes in good. You’ll be fine …. barring, we’ll …. bad road mishaps.

Jeff

swoon

How about this? When my plasma was shipped to me, the box was also strapped to a small pallet to keep it from moving. If you can get your plasma in a box like the one linked, fill with packing bubbles and then strap to a pallet or somehow place it (upright on the stand it came with) such that it can’t move and other boxes won’t be sliding around and hitting the box, you should be good.

mikinho

U-Haul and other storage places sell boxes for flat panel HDTVs but they are ridiculously expensive.  When I moved last I put them in the backseat with plenty of bubblewrap and used the seatbelt to hold them in place.

jennyfur

[quote=Glitchy]

[quote=Mike Garcen]

[/quote]

Put it on the stand. Wrap it in packing/moving blankets. Put it between 2 boxes as big/bigger than the TV. Put some other boxes between the big boxes so they don’t move against the TV and fill the voids with more blankets. Strap the two big boxes in good. You’ll be fine …. barring, we’ll …. bad road mishaps.

Jeff

[/quote]

I moved in December and this is exactly how the moving company packed my 50″ plasma.

Mike Garcen

i have moving blankets, and i love the against the mattress idea. i seem to recall somewhere (maybe back in best buy CRT days) that people would put cardboard up against the glass…still necessary?

mikinho

Be careful with the mattress.  Some mattress are very flexible and fold over.  I’ve read a few instances where the mattress vibration would take out the TV.

swoon

Here’s another idea for you. Sell your display on Craigslist and step up to an ST30 at least Innocent

oliverredfox

[quote=Mike Garcen]

that people would put cardboard up against the glass…still necessary?

[/quote]

I’d use some thick corrugated cardboard or a piece of plywood.  You could probably build a pretty rock solid crate for the TV for $10-20 worth of parts from home depot, but that might be overkill.

Mike Garcen

good idea, but i literally own about 2 tools in my whole house, i’ll blame it on not having a garage 🙂 Thanks for the tip on the mattress, some scary thought there…would the box spring be safer (obviously the top side, not the wood side)? I’m still planning on surrounding it with blankets…and maybe the cardboard depending on how many boxes i have leftover.

*sigh*

It was literally the last thing on my mind since i knew i had saved the box…frustrating…

skirge01

Keep it on the stand and just strap it to the roof.  No tools required.  Problem solved.  Cool

Honestly, I’d go the pallet route.  That’s probably how it got to you originally.  Stop by a store that gets large deliveries (grocery, electronics, appliance, club store, lumber yard, etc) and ask if you can have one pallet.  If you see nice, blue pallets, don’t bother, since those are rented from the CHEP company.  But, (GMA, blonde, white, brown…  whatever your neck of the woods calls them) pallets should be pretty easy to come by.

FrankAZ

Try calling Best Buy or your closest similar retailer. Many which offer install services accumulate suitable boxes which are unwanted by their customers. You might find one which is 90% along the way of being suitable for your set.

Ditto for other large appliances which could do with a protective cardboard box.

babgvant

I wouldn’t move it with the stand attached.  It’s not really designed to take the lateral torque that can get applied in the back of a truck.  My wife found a special box for large screen TVs for a reasonable price.  I’ll ask her where she found it and reply back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.