How to install IR receiver into Silverstone cases?

Home Forums Beginner General Questions How to install IR receiver into Silverstone cases?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello all!  I’m a beginner at putting my HTPC together, but I pretty much know what I want.  I’m looking for a case like the Silverstone LC13B-E or LC17-B…some type of case that looks like a component of my rack instead of a PC with USB, microphone, and firewire ports sticking out front.

In my research (hours and hours), I can’t find a decent case (looks and quality) that would permit a CIR receiver.  Many who don’t need a IR receiver are those who are running 100% extenders.  And while I like extenders (XBox 360 slim) for the bedroom, I want to stay with a HTPC for the main living room TV so I can play Blu-Ray, have access to Netflix within WMC, and output the type of audio that the files have embedded.

Putting the IR through the fan looks like it may work, but is there something better?  Is there a similar case that works for IR and is smooth looking and put together with some quality in it?  I just find it hard to believe that the case manufacturers would create HTPC cases without a method to control them via IR.

Thank you in advance!

Wayne

Aaron Ledger

Why go for such a large case? Unless you absolutely require full-size expansion slots or a huge amount of internal drives, you’ll be much better off with a smaller profile. There are several options that have provision for internal IR, but let’s determine what your exact requirements are and go at it from that angle vs. selecting a case and then finding out it is way more than you need.

Are full-size expansion cards a requirement?

How many expansion cards will you need?

Besides internal IR, what other requirements do you have for the case?

Oingofan

Good point Aaron.  I don’t need a a full-size case.  Here is everything I’m pretty much looking for:

• Something that can handle Intel i5-2500K…or if available a i5-2500T
        • Internal SSD drive for the O/S (Windows 7)
        • 8 GB RAM motherboard capable
        • Recording can be saved to NAS running gigabit network speeds (hopefully that would work)
        • Has blu-ray drive capability (this is about 60% needed)
        • Internal or External InfinityTV tuner capable
        • Is quiet as possible, yet doesn’t have to be dead silent
        • Has HDMI output
        • Has internal IR
        • I don’t think I need a video card if the motherboard embedded is sufficient to handle 1080p and looks nice.  I’m not going to play video games on it.
        • Doesn’t cost TONS of money.  Should cost less than $700-$800.
        • Isn’t an eyesore

OK, I hope that provides enough info for suggestions.  I appreciate you guys helping me out!  Thx!

Wayne

Aaron Ledger

Check out some of the Wessena enclosures. The HTPC-e6 w/Logo for $140 looks like a pretty nice option for the price and should fit into your rack. We’ve reviewed several Wessena chassis and I think we’ll be posting another soon.

Oingofan

Thanks Aaron for quickly suggesting a case for me.  I was looking at these cases earlier, but couldn’t figure out an ideal vendor.  Thx!

Wayne

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.