Help for a Newbie

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Help for a Newbie

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

So, I want to build my first HTPC.  I have read a lot here and at HTPCNews and have so many [s]stupid[/s] really basic questions.  For now, mostly verification of my understanding of what I have read.  Please help if you can.  Thanks in advance.

1.  Windows Media Center OS is one way to do an HTPC.  Another way is to load third party S/W like Beyond TV onto a PC running Window 2000.  Is this correct?

2.  When recording a program for later viewing, the CATV signal is processed by the [b]tuner card[/b] into MPEG2 data stored on the hard disk (assuming a tuner card with hardware processing).  When I want to watch this recorded file, it is processed by the [b]video card[/b] and the signal from the video card (composit / s-video / etc.) is what goes to my HT Receiver for display on my TV.  Additionally, it is the [b]sound card[/b] that processes the audio portion of the file and the SPDIF output from the sound card is connected to my HT Receiver to provide the sound.  How am I doing so far?

3.  A good standalone DVD player these days typically has capabilities such as “progressive scan” and  “up-conversion to 1080i”.  Does this capability have any meaning in an HTPC?  Does it require additional / more capable hardware to attain the equivalent capability?

4.  Right now, I have a basic “old style” TV (SDTV).  If I build an HTPC with 2 tuner cards, is my understanding correct that I could be recording 2 different shows while watching a third show all at the same time?  (Note that I currently have basic cable service with no cable box – just a coax cable directly into the TV.)

5.  How does the answer to #4 change if I upgrade my cable service and get a cable box?

In the interest of time, I’ll stop here.  More to come if you will allow me.

Again, thanks in advance.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.