Guide: Sharing Ceton InfiniTV Tuners with Client HTPC Systems

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Guide: Sharing Ceton InfiniTV Tuners with Client HTPC Systems

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Van Til
    Keymaster

[quote=”shadymg”]
      anyone else frightened when Mikinho says he tested on “8 different computers”? See, as much as i love the guy, he makes me feel like such a weak geek 🙂
      [/quote]

You don’t have 8 PCs at your house?

[quote=”Mikinho”]
      [quote=”SikSlayer”]
      Thanks for posting this guide. News of this new feature is what made me finally decide to buy a Ceton, and not wait on the 3 tuner SiliconDust device. I’ve decided to buy a BD-enabled Atom/Ion or a Core i3 PC in the Spring for the bedroom. I’ll share one of the 4 tuners on that. The ZOTAC ZBOXHD-ID34BR is a front runner.

Extenders never did everything I wanted of it, and now, I won’t have to compromise.
      [/quote]

I actually tested the Tuner Sharing on a ZOTAC AtomIon2.  Worked out great.

The only downside is anything not marked Copy-Freely will need to be recorded on each HTPC if you want it viewable from anywhere.  This is honestly not a concern for me since only premium content is marked by Comcast as Copy-Once.  I also don’t archive Recorded TV.

I’ll hopefully have my shared guide implementation released before the beta firmware goes public.
      [/quote]

HAHA, didn’t even notice the article right below. I’m well aware of the limitations of Copy Once and all that, but I figure that it increases the WAF when she can record watch her own shows on her own HTPC and has access to everything the one in the living room does.

As for sharing within Home Group, I think Ben Draw from EHD had said the DRM doesn’t have support for domains, and that’s why this doesn’t work.

mikinho
      Participant

[quote=”SikSlayer”]
        As for sharing within Home Group, I think Ben Draw from EHD had said the DRM doesn’t have support for domains, and that’s why this doesn’t work.
        [/quote]

That is incorrect.  PlayReady does support domains.  I’ve actually used it in a product before in this way.  It is the implementation used in this scenario that does not.  I can hopedream that it will be extended to HomeGroup at some point..

See [url=http://www.microsoft.com/PlayReady/FAQ.mspx]http://www.microsoft.com/PlayReady/FAQ.mspx[/url]

[quote]Q. What are the key features of Microsoft PlayReady?

A. Microsoft PlayReady technology supports a wide range of audio and video formats, including Windows Media Audio (WMA), Windows Media Video (WMV), Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), AAC+, enhanced AAC+, and the H.263, and H.264 video codecs. It also moves beyond audio and video to support games, images, and ringtones. In addition, it supports many business models for content, including purchased downloads, subscription, rental, preview, and pay-per-view. [b]Because it supports domains and embedded licenses, PlayReady can also enable more seamless scenarios for consumers to enjoy protected content on multiple devices.[/b]

These features are crucial components for mobile operators, handset vendors, and content services who desire to deliver an expanding range of entertainment-focused content, services and devices—both now and in the future.[/quote]

It’s a good thing I say ‘think’ when I’m not sure.

Thanks for clarifying.

Anonymous

I don’t understand the hold up of not allowing PCs to stream to other PCs. Doesn’t the cablelab spec allow for streaming to devices so is the hold up on defining of an extender. I would think as long as the device maintans the DRM and does not copy the recording is within the cable lab spec. What am I missing? Dude you are an MC god, when can we see the feature that shares guide. Wish microsoft would hire you to run media center!

Anonymous

Mikinho,

I have just set this all up and the only way I can get TV on the local HTPC and clients is if I disable the Windows firewall on the local HTPC or untick the bridged network from interfaces within the firewall. This is pretty much vanilla Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Any suggestions on what I need to add/remove/setup from the rulebase in the firewall to allow the IP TV traffic?

mikinho
            Participant

[quote=”remotecontroller”]
              Mikinho,

I have just set this all up and the only way I can get TV on the local HTPC and clients is if I disable the Windows firewall on the local HTPC or untick the bridged network from interfaces within the firewall. This is pretty much vanilla Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Any suggestions on what I need to add/remove/setup from the rulebase in the firewall to allow the IP TV traffic?
              [/quote]

My tool is supposed to setup the firewall exclusions.  I’ll troubleshoot and post a fix and “Reapply Firewall Exclusions” button

Anonymous

My issue is on the main HTPC where the Ceton is installed. I have not run your tool on this PC, only a client. Is this where I am going wrong?

“Steps on the Media Center Client HTPC to find and configure the networked tuners”

From your description, I read that I don’t use your tool on the main PC(?)

I re-ran setup on the main PC, but did a manual setup where I can pick the tuners, and de-selected one tuner, so it only uses 3.

Anonymous

Is it possible you post the rules so I can try manually?

mikinho
                  Participant

My issue is on the main HTPC where the Ceton is installed. I have not run your tool on this PC, only a client. Is this where I am going wrong?

“Steps on the Media Center Client HTPC to find and configure the networked tuners”

From your description, I read that I don’t use your tool on the main PC(?)

I re-ran setup on the main PC, but did a manual setup where I can pick the tuners, and de-selected one tuner, so it only uses 3.

[/quote]

Yes it should be run on the client and host PC.  I think you missed:

[quote]Note: You will need to run the Client HTPC portion of the setup found below on the Host PC if it will be used as an HTPC. It is not required if you do not plan to use the Host PC as a HTPC.[/quote]

If you have runt he Ceton Setup package on the Host PC it will also create the firewall rules for you.

mikinho
                    Participant

Is it possible you post the rules so I can try manually?
                      [/quote]

I can but it won’t be until this afternoon, I’m not at home at the moment.

Anonymous

[quote]Note: You will need to run the Client HTPC portion of the setup found below on the Host PC if it will be used as an HTPC. It is not required if you do not plan to use the Host PC as a HTPC.

[/quote]

Crap! Okay, I’ll try that. Thanks!

Anonymous

Mikinho,
                          Could you help me get this working with a hyper v virtual win 7 machine?  I know there are a few extra steps to get it going.  Just a quick list if you have a chance would be great!

mikinho
                          Participant

Sure thing.  Give me 2-3 days as I’m rebuilding my server.

Btw, Anyone in Houston I’ll be demonstrating Ceton Tuner Sharing w/ Hyper-V and RemoteFX at the event later this month.

Anonymous

I’ve run through the steps and am having the same firewall issues.  If I disable windows firewall it works great. If not it doesn’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.