Guide: Installing SageTV V7

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Guide: Installing SageTV V7

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author

[quote=”babgvant”]
    Nothing that needs to be kept under wraps, just [url=http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154070]something[/url] I haven’t tried and found on Doom9 which requires some system modifications.
    [/quote]

I did confirm that the method on Doom9 allowed me to use the Arcsoft Video Decoder. I have TMT3 installed on my HTPC, added the Arcsoft Video Decoder to MPC HC (set as preferred just below the MS DTV Video Decoder) and confirmed with Graphstudio that it was being used (for VC-1 since this is a core i5 HTPC)

Anonymous

Thanks.

P

Good read, I haven’t set up a PC for playback in a *long time*, so its nice to know what’s required these days.

Two things:

1) It might be nice to copy/paste/trim a version of this guide that shows just the steps nessisary for using an entirly extender based setup.
      2) You spefically call out the comskip playback plugin, but never any plugin that actually runs comskip.

Andrew Van Til
      Keymaster

[quote=”evilpenguin”]
        Two things:

1) It might be nice to copy/paste/trim a version of this guide that shows just the steps nessisary for using an entirly extender based setup.
        2) You spefically call out the comskip playback plugin, but never any plugin that actually runs comskip.
        [/quote]

1) Good idea

2) Yep, that was an intentional scoping decision.  If I covered all of the stuff I do to make everything on the HTPC work the guide would be 20-30 pages, and then I wouldn’t have material for more guides 🙂

[quote=”babgvant”]
        2) Yep, that was an intentional scoping decision.  If I covered all of the stuff I do to make everything on the HTPC work the guide would be 20-30 pages, and then I wouldn’t have material for more guides 🙂
        [/quote]In that case, i’d argue that you shouldn’t include any that invovle external setup.  I’d say just call out the Webserver as an example of the plugin process since its beneifts work for everyone right out of the box.

Anonymous

Nice job Andy!

A trim version would be seem less daunting task to install SageTV for new users. I definitely didn’t do 70% of the those steps and SageTV runs fine with the HD200/HD300. Also, I think if you add a guide to set up an HDHR and HD-PVR, that would be most useful to a lot of users. And as long as you are getting into the web server plugin, you might as well mention steps to setup an IP redirection service (such as dyndns.com, no-ip.com, etc) so they can access the web server from the internet.

Andrew Van Til
          Keymaster

[quote=”evilpenguin”]
            In that case, i’d argue that you shouldn’t include any that invovle external setup.  I’d say just call out the Webserver as an example of the plugin process since its beneifts work for everyone right out of the box.
            [/quote]

So I shouldn’t call out the plugins I find useful?  To be clear the screenshot was intended to demonstrate an e.g. of a plugin that requires the UI to recycle.

Andrew Van Til
            Keymaster

[quote=”bebopblues”]
              Nice job Andy!

A trim version would be seem less daunting task to install SageTV for new users. I definitely didn’t do 70% of the those steps and SageTV runs fine with the HD200/HD300. Also, I think if you add a guide to set up an HDHR and HD-PVR, that would be most useful to a lot of users. And as long as you are getting into the web server plugin, you might as well mention steps to setup an IP redirection service (such as dyndns.com, no-ip.com, etc) so they can access the web server from the internet.

[/quote]

Going to try to take a look at QAM tonight, but I don’t have a HDHR so can’t help with that one.

I’d like to do a guide for setting up FW channel changing with the HD PVR & FWChannelProxy at some point, and maybe one that shows how to use IIS7/7.5 as a reverse proxy for the Sage Web Server (so you don’t have to expose it directly on the interwebs) but I don’t use IP redirection so can’t do that one.

[quote=”babgvant”]
              So I shouldn’t call out the plugins I find useful?  To be clear the screenshot was intended to demonstrate an e.g. of a plugin that requires the UI to recycle.
              [/quote]I’d say my concern is more with the structure of the guide.  The way you sandwich optional customizations between important steps will be confusing to newbies who will follow this guide word-for-word for their first setup.  Maybe just move all the customization stuff (Plugins + Hidden extras) to its own section at the end and include the relevant links to the plugin threads.

“Now that you’ve got your base Sage setup and running, here are some customization/enhancments that I enjoy that you might want to explore”…

Andrew Van Til
              Keymaster

[quote=”evilpenguin”]
                I’d say my concern is more with the structure of the guide.  The way you sandwich optional customizations between important steps will be confusing to newbies who will follow this guide word-for-word for their first setup.  Maybe just move all the customization stuff (Plugins + Hidden extras) to its own section at the end and include the relevant links to the plugin threads.

“Now that you’ve got your base Sage setup and running, here are some customization/enhancments that I enjoy that you might want to explore”…
                [/quote]

I see plugins and properties section as a good grouping of “optional changes that makes the experience better”. 

There are many different ways to organize flow; like grouping by goal (i.e. enabling HD audio) instead of linearly.  While I can see your point, it also creates a lot of redundancy.  Instead of grouping by task I made a point of outlining the purpose of each step while following a linear workplan to completion so readers [that read and process the information] could determine relevancy and act accordingly.

I tried setting up the bitstreaming portion and now I can’t get MKVs to play back in SageTV.  I get an exception error.  Recorded TV still plays fine.

I opened up the MKV in GraphStudio and it’s attempting to render as you see here:

[img width=650 height=208]http://www.missingremote.com/images/stories/blog/skirge/wall-e1.jpg[/img]

This will not play back at all.  I get a black screen.

I’m not sure if this is what I should be trying, but I attempted the following:

[img width=650 height=201]http://www.missingremote.com/images/stories/blog/skirge/wall-e2.jpg[/img]

This shoots the CPU usage up to 100%, video and audio play, but both stutter horribly, so HWA is clearly disabled.

Suggestions?

Andrew Van Til
                Keymaster

1) You need to use the EVR to enable DXVA2 on Vista/7.

2) Your 4650 doesn’t support bit streaming; did you enabled LPCM output in the ffdshow settings?

[quote=”babgvant”]
                  1) You need to use the EVR to enable DXVA2 on Vista/7.[/quote]

Did that.

[quote]2) Your 4650 doesn’t support bit streaming; did you enabled LPCM output in the ffdshow settings?
                  [/quote]

But, not much help, given this.  Damn.  I thought it did.  :'(  I did enable LPCM, though.

Andrew Van Til
                  Keymaster

Try building the graph outside of sage.  It should like like this:

[img]http://www.missingremote.com/forum]

Thanks, Andy, but I can’t see the image you’re referencing.  🙂

Both of the images I provided earlier were outside of SageTV.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.