Guide: How to Transfer your Complete Windows 7 Installation to a New Computer

Home Forums Windows Media Center Guide: How to Transfer your Complete Windows 7 Installation to a New Computer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I just got a new to me quadcore core 2 duo system from work and wanted to transplant my old Dell SC420 hard drives into without having to reinstall. After pouring through some searches and forums I found this great article on sysprep that made it super simple. Make sure to read the mote at the bottom about WMP network services!

How to Transfer your Complete Windows 7 Installation to a New Computer:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html#post1161038

Hope it helps someone out =:-‘>
    Ganjagadget

swoon

Interesting. I’ve used the Windows 7 system image method for machines with same motherboard which works flawlessly though I wouldn’t recommend for some cases like if system image was created for HDD and system drive is now SSD.

How did the Sysprep method work for you?

Ganjagadget

It took less than 15 minutes and was really easy. It would have been flawless except the new system had a card reader that threw off the drive letter assignments. So be warned that you need to have the exact same drive configuration on the new system or there will be little extra work to remap some stuff.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.