Guide: Display Calibration – Part I

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Guide: Display Calibration – Part I

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mikinho
    Participant

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5225&Itemid=232]Original Article Link[/url]

Thanks Aaron.  I ran through using your guide and I either did a crappy job last time I calibrated or waited too long between but the picture looks better now.

I’m looking forward to the Part 2 to see how the results differ.

I really enjoyed the write up. And I believe I will step through it when I get home tonight just to recalibrate.

Good work, and I do look forward to part II.

I’m glad you all find this useful. I can’t wait to bring you part II!

Good stuff 🙂 I’ve not used the AVS disc yet, so I think I might mess around with it and the guide later today.

I must be losing my mind. I setup the RSS feeds and I swear this poll never came through until it was over.

Anonymous

The major issue with HTPC display calibration is that things are not static.
        The choice of codec and renderer can affect what is displayed.
        I have a 9400 IGP and if output is set to 16-235 for video and I play a 16-235 video then you would think that output would just be at 16-235 it does not work.  At various points the video is converted from/to 16-235 / 0-255 and what actualy happens when playing back video with the output set to 16-235 results in the renderer assuming the input is 0-255 and converting this to 16-235 (giving you washed out blacks and grey whites).  Setting the output to 0-255 means I actually get 16-235 out for a 16-235 source.

To make matters more complicated things can be different for HD (Rec 709) and SD (Rec 601) material as well as proteted path material.  In order to get correct black levels when using TMT I need to set the output to 16-235 to get 16-235 output (even though in MPC etc I need to have output set to 0-255 to achieve the same….)

This is all measured on a meter on a set calibrated to 16-235 from another source (stand alone bluray player)

I am guessing you will address some of these issues in part II?

[quote=”jameson_uk”]
        The major issue with HTPC display calibration is that things are not static.
        The choice of codec and renderer can affect what is displayed.
        I have a 9400 IGP and if output is set to 16-235 for video and I play a 16-235 video then you would think that output would just be at 16-235 it does not work.   At various points the video is converted from/to 16-235 / 0-255 and what actualy happens when playing back video with the output set to 16-235 results in the renderer assuming the input is 0-255 and converting this to 16-235 (giving you washed out blacks and grey whites).  Setting the output to 0-255 means I actually get 16-235 out for a 16-235 source.

To make matters more complicated things can be different for HD (Rec 709) and SD (Rec 601) material as well as proteted path material.   In order to get correct black levels when using TMT I need to set the output to 16-235 to get 16-235 output (even though in MPC etc I need to have output set to 0-255 to achieve the same….)

This is all measured on a meter on a set calibrated to 16-235 from another source (stand alone bluray player)

I am guessing you will address some of these issues in part II?
        [/quote]

The color space issue was addressed to some degree in this guide. It is unfortunate that there are sometimes inconsitencies in how different software packages, drivers and hardware deal with video levels. Fortunately, we have test patterns to allow us to identify and correct those issues.

It would be ideal to have separate calibrations for viewing Rec. 709 and Rec. 601, although if you have to choose one, choose the one for the type of content you watch most. Alternately, you could create different calibration picture modes on your display for each. You could also do this to deal with any inconsistencies you are finding in your hardare/software.

Are you also using the latest version of TMT along with current Nvidia drivers? I understand that at one point, there was a problem with levels in TMT. Last I checked on a Clarkdale GPU outputting full-range RGB, I was seeing consistent levels with MPC and TMT using AVS HD 709 pluge pattern.

mikinho
        Participant

What video renderer are you using with MPC-HC?  Like swoon mentions I would calibrate for the most commonly used video player and adjust individual programs like MPC-HC as needed.

My personal video renderer preference for MPC-HC is madVR due to the high PQ (eventhough it is 32-bit only at the moment :-X).  When using madVR my levels match TMT3 almost perfectly.

Anonymous

Sorry been a while since I dropped by here…

Using VMR9 (still on XP and using MediaPortal for general playback) and it has been a while since I calibrated but IIRC If I calibrated to AVS 709 patterns then all is good but as soon as I play TV or a DVD the greyscale is out (using a DVD MPEG2 test pattern disc confirms this)

Switching the output between 0-255 and 16-235 fixes this.

If you play AVS and DVD test pattern in a bluray player they both output the same black levels.

If I get the time I will go back and review the findings I made

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.